Links/Idea/Poems- Diaper Cake & Diaper Wreath

Archive for Baby Shower and Baby Gift Ideas.

Moderators: Caboobie, crafterwannabe, krafteekaren, Craftsayings Users, Maintainer

Links/Idea/Poems- Diaper Cake & Diaper Wreath

Postby krafteekaren » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:31 pm

LINKS-IDEA-POEM: DIAPER CAKE SHOWER DECORATION & BABY BOOTIE SHOWER FAVOR

Date Posted: 16:25:01 06/04/04 Fri
Author: DebbieD
Subject: Diaper Cake shower decoration and Baby Bootie shower favor

Here is a picture of the diaper cake that my daughter received at her baby shower:

Picture: Diaper Cake
http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v38 ... 0_0779.jpg

Note: Link to Baby Bootie Favor deleted since the pic had been removed from Photobucket album.

(there are also people that sell the diaper cakes on http://www.ebay.com Just do a search for diaper cake. There are several listed to give ideas for different ways of making them as well as themes- like castles, frogs, etc.)

Replies:
[> Re: Diaper Cake shower decoration and Baby Bootie shower favor -- Laura, 17:49:43 06/04/04 Fri [1]

DebbieD,
Thank you for posting the picture of the diaper cake your daughter received. I love it! I really think that would be a great gift for me to give. Plus I have odds and ends around that I could use to decorate them. I love the baby bootie favor, its cute and the price is minimal. Does anyone know off hand if there is a poem to go along with the bootie? I will search the archives later tonight when I have free time. I also found a crosage made from baby socks that I want to make for the moms to be. This shower is next week and nothing has been planned. The lady helping is out of town.....and I hate waiting to the last minute. Thanks again DebbieD...you have inspired me.
Laura:)

[> Re: Diaper Cake shower decoration and Baby Bootie shower favor -- crafterwannabe, 13:55:40 06/05/04 Sat [1]

Debbie, the diaper cake is beautiful - prettier than the one I looked at on a link in the archives a few weeks ago. Thanks for showing us!

[> Re: Diaper Cake shower decoration and Baby Bootie shower favor -- Mad Mary, 23:23:48 06/08/04 Tue [1]

I seen the diaper cakes before and even made three for my friend that had tripletts a couple of years ago. I haven't seen the baby booties before, they are adorable. Now someone around here just needs to get knocked up so I can make these :-) LOL

[> Re: Diaper Cake shower decoration and Baby Bootie shower favor -- Lilpeach, 01:46:18 06/09/04 Wed [1]

Wow! what clever ideas. My little sister just announced she is pregnant, yipee! I am gonna be an aunt again for the 22nd time..lol:) This would be perfect for a gift for her. My family are in the UK, we don't usually do baby showers there, but now that I've seen these wonderful ideas I think I will put one together for her nearer her due date and take a trip over there. Thanks so much for sharing this.
~Lilpeach~
Date Posted: 14:55:37 04/23/04 Fri
Author: Barbara
Subject: Diaper craft Poems/Disposable/pampers

I am looking for a poem for a 3 tier diaper cake that is for pampers and not cloth diapers.It is a useable take apart cake decorated with bibs, wash cloths, rattles,book. baby toys, soothers, etc. You get the idea. Any help with this. Also I need one for a boy and one for a baby girl. Thanks a bunch. Barb

[> Re: Diaper craft Poems/Disposable/pampers -- jenjoy, 00:42:50 04/24/04 Sat [1]

This is a special cake
But careful please don't eat
It's made with things for baby
As a different kind of treat!

It doesn't have that gooey
Icing on the top
I made it with out worry
That it would be a flop

I believe it is much better
Than that sticky fattening kind
Because it's made with pampers
For the baby's sweet behind!
© Jennifer Byerly

[> Re: Diaper craft Poems/Disposable/pampers -- Laura Kaye, 15:33:26 04/24/04 Sat [1]

Here is a cake for your special day,
Because the stork is own her way.
It's filled with lots of things for you,
On the outside, and inside too.
Place them in your diaper bag,
So all the necessities you will have.
For the big day soon will come,
When you can show off your little one!
© Written by ~ Laura Kaye ~

Baby cakes are so much fun,
they're sure to delight a new mom.
Filled with things from A to Z,
So many things a baby needs.
Diapers, toys, powders, and pins,
Wonderful times will soon begin!

Here's a special gift I made just for you.
I didn't have to sew or even use glue.
It's filled with lots of things you see,
But most of all with love from me!
Date Posted: 15:35:04 06/19/03 Thu
Author: Kakeladee
Subject: HELP!!! Diaper Cake

Help!! I need help from the experts! I am trying to make my first diaper cake. I am rolling the diapers and how do you get them to stay on the cake board without sliding off? May sound like a stupid question. Sorry. I'm confused. Pressure is on this week having my first sales at blueberry festival and trying to watch 4 grandchildren at the same time while trying to get ready for this. UGH!! Thanks in advance.
Kakeladee

[> Re: HELP!!! Diaper Cake -- POOKIE, 00:35:28 06/21/03 Sat [1]

Here are links to 3 different sets of instructions. I don't adhere the diapers to the cardboard circle because then you couldn't take it apart and use the diapers. I keep the cake wrapped in cellophane or netting which holds the layers together on the base. I put baby bottles in the center to hold the layers together so you might could glue the bottom bottle to the circle to secure it.

Diaper cake
http://short_cake1973.tripod.com/dwinst/id4.html

Diaper cake #2
http://entertaining.about.com/cs/shower ... ercake.htm

Diaper cake #3
http://www.angelfire.com/id/megnkatesplace/cake.html

[> Re: HELP!!! Diaper Cake -- twinrme/Charlene, 01:06:24 06/21/03 Sat [1]

3 layer diaper cake.
This is the diaper cake I've made. I used the newborn diapers from Wal-mart, they come 56 in a pack for $5.75. It's three layers. Bottom layer is 32 diapers, middle is 16, and the top is 8 diapers. I use a baby bottle filled with blue /pink candies in the middle. I take the first diaper and open it up, lay this against the baby bottle & lightly tape this first diaper onto the bottle to start the layer, then open up half of the diapers and wrap them around themselves, tucking end inside the last end, tie with curling ribbon when the layer gets to big to hold. The rest of the diapers for the bottom layer, I lay end to end and tye off with curling ribbon. Tie the whole layer off with 6" wide tulle, folded into 3rds. The bottle sticks up enough to start the middle layer on. Repeat for each layer. I also tape a toilet paper tube to the bottle cap top to start the top layer. Then add what ever baby items you want. If the newspaper has any baby coupons, I like to add those too!! I've stuck a 5/16" dowel rod through all layers to keep the cake together. Put two rods in the bottom layer, and wrap each layer around them as you go. As the pics show, I tie off each layer in colored tulle, using it on each layer to tie a baby item to the center of the cake. Use add'l curling ribbon to attach baby items to the tulle around the cake, and other baby items are stuck in around the cake. I've placed these cakes on cake boards, or sandwich trays, and tie up the whole cake with colored tulle appx. 3 yds [wal-mart for about $1.00 yard].
HTH....:0)
POEM & INSTRUCTIONS: DIAPER CAKE

Date Posted: 01:35:17 02/08/04 Sun
Author: Kim
Subject: Diaper Cake Poem Needed

I was wondering if anyone had a poem for that diaper cake made from disposable diapers and baby products? Also, if anyone has some good ideas for baby shower gifts; something to make it extra special. thanks in advance:)

[> Re: Diaper Cake Poem Needed -- L. McVaugh, 02:03:16 02/08/04 Sun [1]

Here's a gift idea, and I know allot of people will think it's different, but as a mom of 3, it's a life saver....go get some Bag Balm, yes Bag balm, and put in your gift. It's an old time remedy for diaper rash, and it works great. My grandma told me about it, all of my girls when teething would get rashes that made there little butts real red and sometimes would even bleed, the first time we used Bag Balm, it went away!!! Works better than any OTC treatment, doesn't sting, and best of all the tin it's in is cute!! You can find this at most drug stores, Walmarts, etc. Sometimes at Walmart it's in pet section as "normal" use is on cows.
Also, cloth diapers make the BEST burp rags.
Hope these help,

[> [> Re: Diaper Cake Poem Needed -- Kim, 02:09:59 02/08/04 Sun [1]

Thanks for the ideas! I never heard of Bag Balm but I'll be sure to look for it, I'm going to Walmart in the morning:)

[> Re: Diaper Cake Poem Needed -- Diane, 08:44:19 02/08/04 Sun [1]

Diaper Cake Poems

Here is a cake made with love,
though I wouldn't call it yummy.
For the ingredients used go on the baby,
not inside your tummy.
Flour, sugar, milk, and eggs
will make a cake so sweet,
But diapers, booties, and baby socks
will make a handy treat.
Author Unknown

Here is a cake for your special day,
Because the stork is own her way.
It's filled with lots of things for you,
On the outside, and inside too.
Place them in your diaper bag,
So all the necessities you will have.
For the big day soon will come,
When you can show off your little one!

Baby cakes are so much fun,
they're sure to delight a new mom.
Filled with things from A to Z,
So many things a baby needs.
Diapers, toys, powders, and pins,
Wonderful times will soon begin!

Here's a special gift I made just for you.
I didn't have to sew or even use glue.
It's filled with lots of things you see,
But most of all with love from me!

6 cloth diapers, you can wash every day
6 more diapers, you can throw away
Fold in 1 bib, in case baby should dribble
Add in 4 socks, to cover toes as they wiggle
Fold in 1 shirt (onesie), to keep in the heat
Bind with 4 pins, to keep the cake neat
© Written by ~ Tami Enos ~

Take 2 cloth diapers, you can wash every day
Add 6 disposable diapers, you can throw away
Fold in 2 blankets, to keep baby cozy
Add in 4 socks, to cover their toesies
Add in 1 shirt, to keep in the heat
Fold in 1 bib, to make cake complete
Then bind with 4 pins, to keep the cake neat
© Written by ~ Tami Enos ~

COPIED FROM http://www.babyshowerscentral.com/craft ... diapercake

HTH Diane

[> Re: Diaper Cake Poem Needed -- miel, 10:50:57 02/08/04 Sun [1]

I'll second the Bag Balm I raised my children on the farm, we used it on the cows, our hands, and the childrens butt and any scratches the young ones had. Its in a green tin about three inches square, withe picture of cows utter on it.

[> Re: Diaper Cake Poem Needed -- gr, 12:00:35 02/08/04 Sun [1]

Isn't Bag Balm made with sulphur??? Ouch! I used Udder Cream on my little ones and grandbabies! It is made with lanolin instead!
Links: Baby Diaper Wreath

Date Posted: 08:03:38 08/25/04 Wed
Author: Diane C
Subject: baby diaper wreath

anyone know of the instructions for the wreath you can make with diapers, that you pin baby rattles etc all aroound it.. or I need some other cute unusual baby gift ideas.. they gotta me fast though ,.. I'm such a procrasniator.. I have a baby shower to go to on saturday

Replies:
[> Re: baby diaper wreath -- Joan, 09:17:55 08/25/04 Wed [1]

http://www.mycraftbook.com/craftidea.asp?craftID=245

http://short_cake1973.tripod.com/

Joan
krafteekaren

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:08 pm

Diaper Cake Poems
(Ingredients & Instructions)

Date Posted: 14:40:51 10/12/04 Tue
Author: michelle
Subject: poem needed for diaper cake

I have made so many of these "diaper cakes" , however I would like to offer a poem to add to the package! If you ladies can diaper me one up it would be great!

[> Re: poem needed for diaper cake -- michelle, 14:41:59 10/12/04 Tue [1]

Want to tell me how to post a pic here of the diaper cake..

[> Re: poem needed for diaper cake -- kelli, 14:52:58 10/12/04 Tue [1]

I've seen them in the past and I'm assuming you're making the same kind. Is it disposable diapers put together to look like a fancy cake? Then decorated with diaper pins and rattles and flowers made of baby washcloths? Or at least something similar?

I made this lovely cake for you!
It looks to be quite tasty!
It isn't meant for eating
So please don't be too hasty!
When you take the time to look
Real closely you will find
That it is made from diapers
That will cover a behind!
For now it just looks pretty
But when the baby's due,
You'll find that it will come apart
And be quite useful, too!
©2004 Kelli Williams

[> [> Re: poem needed for diaper cake -- michelle, 15:26:23 10/12/04 Tue [1]

Kelli,

Thanks for the poem, I hope you don't mind I altered it.

It's a diaper cake!
It looks to be quite tasty!
Although it isn't meant for eating
So please don't be too hasty!

When you take the time to look
Real closely you will find
That it is made from diapers
That will cover a little one's behind

Ever so cute
The shower to adorn
You'll find that it will come apart
Just in time when the baby is born!
©2004 Kelli Williams/michelle

[> Re: poem needed for diaper cake -- Charlene, 15:32:32 10/12/04 Tue [1]

Diaper cake poem
Ingredients & Instructions
: ( you can use any baby items )

Start with a Teddy Bear sent with love,
Fluff up two wash mittens that fit like a glove,
Pour in two rattles for baby's first toy,
Mix with a ribbon, that says, "It's A Boy!"
Spray on powder, lotion, baby wash, & shampoo,
Next go the diaper rash cream, all travel sizes for you!
Add a pair of tiny socks to cover toes as the wiggle,
Fold in a teether bib should your baby dribble,
Blend the brush & comb set for the little tyke,
Swirl with a Rocking Horse frame - who will he look like?
Stir with a feeding spoon to keep the cake neat,
Sprinkle with 3 different pacifiers to make it look sweet,
Combine a cabinet lock to keep out the little tot,
Use this tub thermometer so water doesn't get to hot,
Join a fork & spoon set, for solid food...yum, yum,
Put in a animal teether for a soar gum,
Place some baby hangers, for his cute little outfits
Wisk in a medi-syringe for when illness hits.
Hold the nail clippers when trimming comes along,
Fill 1 baby bottle hidden in the middle where it belongs!
Spread with a set from 'Suzy Zoo', some booties & a cap,
Keep baby's bottle near with this handy bottle strap
Mingle in the Chime Toothbrush to make brushing fun,
Whip in a pair of shoes; he'll soon be on the run!!
Beat with 56 disposable diapers you can throw away.
Unfold to fit 8-14 pound baby’s night & day!!

Guaranteed To Please The Mom & Dad-to-Be!!
Best Wishes & Love:

OVER

To take apart your Diaper Cake, cut all the ribbons, and tulle tied at each layer. Also, cut any & all items attached with ribbons to each layer. The last diaper, on the bottom layer has been taped to the bottle, remove with care. Any, and all out of package items that baby will be putting in his mouth need to be washed before use. ENJOY!!!

Nutrition Facts:
No baking required, Fat Free, Calorie Free,
But loaded with lots of FUN!!!!
Serves one extra loveable Baby-Boy-To-Be!!

56 Dri-Bottoms size No. 1 at Wal-Mart (8-14 LBS) Bottom layer: 32 diapers
Wrap 1 around bottle, tape in place to start, open wrap next 20 diapers. Lay as is next 11 diapers. Place dowel sticks close enough for all three layers to be stuck together by them. Use curling ribbon & tulle to tie off the layer as you go.

Middle layer 16 diapers:
Open wrap 1st diaper around top of baby bottle used to start the cake. Shove toilet tupe on top of this bottle, then lay wrap as is next 15 diapers. Tie off with ribbon.

Top layer 8 diapers:
Open wrap 4 diapers around the toilet tube sticking out from layer 2. Next lay wrap as is last 4 diapers. Put ‘Teddy’ on top, tying to dowel stick, or back to back with a baby item. Tie on baby items with curling ribbon, and by sticking them into the layer of the cake. Put on a cake board, or a large plate from the dollar store. Get about 3yds of tulle in what ever color you want ( I got mine from Wal-Mart, $1.00 yard ), and wrap the finished cake in this, Tie off with plenty of curling ribbon, Print up the poem on cardstock, and attach to your cake.

For a baby boy:

Ingredients & Instructions:

Start with a Teddy Bear *It*s A Boy!*,
Pour in a rattle for baby's first toy,
Shake on powder, lotion, baby wash, & shampoo,
Cleaning cloths & diaper rash cream, travel sizes for you!
Add a pacifier holder as Ivan may wiggle,
Fold in a bib should your baby dribble,
Swirl with a spotted frame - who does he look like?
Sprinkle with 2 cute pacifiers to make it look sweet,
Combine a saftey cabinet lock to keep out the little tot,
Use the medi-measurer for when your baby gets hot,
Fill 2 baby bottles in the middle where they belong.
Spread with a set from 'Suzy Zoo': booties & a cap,
Whip in a toy windup fire truck for Daddy & his Son.
Unfold to fit 8-14 pound babies night & day!!

Guaranteed To Please The New Parents !!!
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:03 pm

Diaper Cake Instructions & Pictures & Poem

Date Posted: 13:02:21 06/04/05 Sat
Author: evitalouise
Subject: Help please, instructions for diaper cake

I am looking for instructions to make a diaper cake. The archives seems to be down at present so I could not look there. I need to make a shopping trip today to pick up the items I may need but not sure what they all may be. I looked on the internet, but all I can find are the cakes for sale already made up. Does anyone have the instructions on how to make these adorable cakes? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Hugs
Connie

Replies:
[> Re: Help please, instructions for diaper cake -- POOKIE, 14:29:58 06/04/05 Sat [1]

These are the instructions I used to start. After you get comfortable making them you can improvise and make yours a little differently.

Diaper Cake "Ingredients"

40 small diapers
2 receiving blankets or baby towels
1 burp rag
1 baby bottle or cardboard paper towel roll
scotch tape or rubber bands
3 diaper pins 1 cardboard cake plate
various baby items to decorate (mini soap and shampoo bottles, baby hair brushes, teething rings, ect)
1 roll colored curling ribbon
1 cake topper (ie: small stuffed animal or beanie toy)

Start by rolling the diapers lengthwise around the baby bottle, and continue to roll the diapers around themselves until you have used 20 diapers for the first layer of the diaper cake. Use scotch tape to secure the diapers together, or use rubber bands if you prefer.
Do the same to make the second layer of the diaper cake, only this time make it a bit smaller by only using 10-15 diapers. The third, top, layer should be only about 5 diapers round.
Fold a receiving blanket to match the width of the bottom diaper cake layer and wrap around. Secure the back with a diaper pin. Do the same for the second layer. For the third, smallest layer, use a burp cloth to wrap around the cake layer and secure with a diaper pin.
Tie curling ribbon in whatever colors you choose around each of the 3 layers of the diaper cake, tie leaving enough extra ribbon at the ends to curl. Take the baby items and tuck them in the ribbon to decorate.
Top your cake off with a small stuffed animal or beanie toy, or something of similar proportion that matches your cake.

http://www.babyshowerscentral.com/diapercake.shtml

and some examples:

http://babyshowermall.com/babyshowermal ... gifts.html
http://www.baby-cakes.com/products.htm#top
http://www.diaperdelicious.com/pages/cakes.htm

And here is the diaper wreath...almost even cuter than the cake....

Instructions for diaper wreath

You will need -

1 wreath base - straw or styrofoam
1 package newborn size diapers
1 pack of dental floss
curling ribbon
Small Baby Items (to decorate)

Tie dental floss completely around the wreath in a circular fashion. Do not cut until the wreath is finished. Place one prefolded diaper (straight from package) against the wreath, seat to the inside of the wreath, tab area to the outside, cinch it tightly in the middle of the top waist area and wrap the floss around the cinched area. Tie tightly together. Place another diaper, closely together, on the wreath and repeat. Continue in this manner til the wreath is covered. Tie off floss and cut.

Decorate wreath using curling ribbon, and by tucking the small baby items into the floss and ribbon.

http://www.ecrafter.com/item_desc.php?pid=1206
http://www.ioffer.com/i/BABY-GIRL-DIAPER-WREATH-6942636
http://www.tabenterprises.com/G9index.htm

[> Re: Help please, instructions for diaper cake -- Charlene, 14:30:51 06/04/05 Sat [1]

Hope this can help you out.......

3 layer diaper cake.

This is the diaper cake I've made. I used the newborn diapers from Wal-Mart, they come 56 in a pack for $5.75. It's three layers. Bottom layer is 32 diapers, middle is 16, and the top is 8 diapers. I use a baby bottle filled with blue /pink candies in the middle. I take the first diaper and open it up, lay this against the baby bottle & lightly tape this first diaper onto the bottle to start the layer, then open up half of the diapers and wrap them around themselves, tucking end inside the last end, tie with curling ribbon when the layer gets to big to hold. The rest of the diapers for the bottom layer, I lay end to end and tie off with curling ribbon. Tie the whole layer off with 6" wide tulle, folded into 3rds. The bottle sticks up enough to start the middle layer on it. Repeat for each layer. I also tape a toilet paper tube to the bottle cap top to start the top layer. Then add what ever baby items you want. If the newspaper has any baby coupons, I like to add those too!! I've stuck a 5/16" dowel rod through all layers to keep the cake together. Put two rods in the bottom layer, and wrap each layer around them as you go. As the pics show, I tie off each layer in colored tulle, using it on each layer to tie a baby item to the center of the cake. Use add'l curling ribbon to attach baby items to the tulle around the cake, and other baby items are stuck in around the cake. I've placed these cakes on cake boards,clear glass plates at a local Family Dollar store, or sandwich trays, and tie up the whole cake with colored tulle appx. 3 yds [wal-mart for about $1.00 yard].

[> Re: Help please, instructions for diaper cake -- Charlene, 14:38:22 06/04/05 Sat [1]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... ycake2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... ycake3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... ycake4.jpg

Here is the poem I wrote for my diaper cakes: This one is for a Boy, but you could change it to fit a Girl or just Baby.

Diaper cake poem
Ingredients & Instructions: ( you can use any baby items )

Start with a Teddy Bear sent with love,
Fluff up two wash mittens that fit like a glove,
Pour in two rattles for baby's first toy,
Mix with a ribbon, that says, "It's A Boy!"
Spray on powder, lotion, baby wash, & shampoo,
Next go the diaper rash cream, all travel sizes for you!
Add a pair of tiny socks to cover toes as the wiggle,
Fold in a teether bib should your baby dribble,
Swirl with a Rocking Horse frame - who will he look like?
Sprinkle with 3 different pacifiers to make it look sweet,
Combine a cabinet lock to keep out the little tot,
Use this tub thermometer so water doesn't get to hot,
Join a fork & spoon set, for solid food...yum, yum,
Put in a animal teether for a soar gum,
Place some baby hangers, for his cute little outfits
Wisk in a medi-syringe for when illness hits.
Fill 1 baby bottle hidden in the middle where it belongs!
Spread with a set from 'Suzy Zoo', some booties & a cap,
Whip in a pair of shoes; he'll soon be on the run!!
Unfold to fit 8-14 pound baby’s night & day!!
Charlene Klumpp © 2001

Guaranteed To Please The Mom & Dad-to-Be!!
Best Wishes & Love:

OVER

To take apart your Diaper Cake, cut all the ribbons, and tulle tied at each layer. Also, cut any & all items attached with ribbons to each layer. The last diaper, on the bottom layer has been taped to the bottle, remove with care. Any, and all out of package items that baby will be putting in his mouth need to be washed before use. ENJOY!!!

[> Re: Help please, instructions for diaper cake -- evitalouise, 21:34:55 06/04/05 Sat [1]

thanks so much to everyone for your help. I can hardly wait to get this put together.
Hugs
Connie
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:18 pm

More on Diaper Cakes

Date Posted: 20:37:32 01/07/06 Sat
Author: Dell
Subject: Diaper cake directions -no picture
http://babyshower.lifetips.com/cat/6205 ... iece-tips/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date Posted: 20:39:42 01/07/06 Sat
Subject: Small diaper cake picture

http://www.make-it-easy.com/kk2.html
Not as pretty!
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:28 am

Diaper Cake Instructions w/Pic

Date Posted: 13:33:10 01/24/06 Tue
Subject: Cute diaper cake with pattern

http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/NappyCake/
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:58 pm

Q&A's - Baby Diaper Wreath & Cake

Date Posted: 01:38:33 05/25/06 Thu
Author: Amanda F
Subject: Questions -Baby Diaper Wreath & Cake

I am doing a baby shower on June the 10th and am trying my hand at making a baby diaper wreath and cake. I would like to attach a small book in the middle of the wreath but can't figure out how to attach it. Could anyone offer some suggestions/ideas on how I could possibly do this? I was thinking of tying on different baby items to the wreath but now I am thinking of making "roses" out of baby washclothes and attaching them with ribbon. Because I have enough new baby washclothes to make the "roses" on hand but would have to go and buy enough baby items like rattles, pacifiers, etc.... Do you think the "roses" would be okay?

The baby diaper cakes that I have seen instructions for on the internet always include baby items. Tonight I was looking on Ebay for ideas and saw a diaper cake that didn't have baby items, instead it was made with just roses and ribbons. I think it is so pretty and elegant. I would like to make the cake I'm working on that way but I don't want to go against what most people think of when they think of a diaper cake. Do you think it would be okay to make a diaper cake using just ribbons and roses? The cake that I saw on Ebay had the diapers standing up instead wrapped around and around each other and a rose sticking out of each one. Could anyone tell me what would be the nicest way and the easiest {wrapping each diaper individually and standing up or wrapping all of the diapers around and around each other}? Could anyone tell me what would be best for a central support for the cake?

I will be grateful for any and all input regarding these questions and if anyone has any other baby crafts to share that would be wonderful as well. Thank you for your suggestions, input, ideas, etc... I am sorry for asking so many questions but this is the first time that I have tried this and I must admit I am a little more than worried about it. The reason that I am trying these crafts is because I am not going to have to do as much for this baby shower and I usually do. The host {my twin this time} will be doing most of the decorating and clean up, I am providing the food, games, ideas, photos, etc.... I think this will be the easiest shower I have done yet. Sorry, for rambling. :o) Thank you all for your help.

Replies:
[> Re: Questions -Baby Diaper Wreath & Cake -- gaylesfolly, 02:53:27 05/25/06 Thu [1]

okay, lets see if i can write this so you can understand it. it is hard to do without pics, but here goes.
i would try and attach the book with clear vinyl. cut a circle out of the clear vinyl and then sew a pocket in the middle of the circle. make it so you could attach it to the back of the wreath. you could just pin it to the wreath or punch hole and tie it to the wreath. if you made a pocket out of the clear vinyl the book could just slide in. hope that makes sense.
i make my diaper cakes like a sheet cake. just glue the whole package of diapers to cardboard base still in the package. then i cover it with a receiving blanket and make it look like a bed. add gathered lace to look like a bed skirt. they are easier to make and then the diapers are clean when ready to use. you could put the flowers from wash clothes or socks on the top like a cake or around the sides.
hope this helped you out.
gayle

[> Re: Questions -Baby Diaper Wreath & Cake -- TAMARA, 11:03:16 05/25/06 Thu [1]

HI AMANDA, I HAVE DONE TWO DIAPER CAKES 1 BOY AND JUST FINISHED 1 GIRL. THE WAY I DO MINE IS I SPEND ABOUT $30 FOR 2 CAKES. I TAKE DIAPERS CLOSED AND WRAP THEM AROUND I START THE CAKE BY USING A BABY BOTTLE AS AN INSIDE AND WRAP DIAPERS AROUND IT AROUND THE BOTTOM FOR THE BOTTOM LAYER AND AROUND TOP OF BOTTLE FOR TOP LAYER. I WRAP RUBBER BANDS AROUND THE DIAPERS TO HOLD IN PLACE. THEN COVER IT WITH RIBBON. THEN I TIE ON DIFFERENT BABY ITEMS, LIKE FEEDING SET, NAIL SET, PACIFIER, ETC. JUST LITTLE ITEMS FROM THE DOLLAR STORE ESPECIALLY THE SETS I TAKE THEM APARTAND HAVE THREE OR FOUR DIFFERENT ITEMS FOR $1. HERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF THE GIRL CAKE I JUST FINISHED

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/m ... 0_0147.jpg

ALSO I MADE A BABY HOAGIE AND THAT COST ME ABOUT$10 TO MAKE THAT'S 2 BURP CLOTHS A RECIVING BLANKET WRAPPING A ONESIE, SLEEP N PLAY, SOCKS, BIB, ETC. ALL FROM A $STORE. TOPPED WITH A PAIR OF BOOTIES. PLACE ON A FOIL COVERED PIECE OF CARDBOARD DECORATED WITH FORK AND SPOON. THE LETTUCE IS GREEN TISSUE PAPER AND TOMATOES ARE RED RIBBON. AND THE CHEESE IS YELLOW WASHCLOTHS. HERE'S A PICTURE

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/m ... 7030fb.jpg

AMANDA I HOPE THIS HELPS. ANY QUESTIONS THAT I CAN HELP ANSWER PLEASE E-MAIL ME I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO ANSWER THEM. TAMARA

[> Re: Questions -Baby Diaper Wreath & Cake -- Amanda F, 23:20:05 05/25/06 Thu [1]

Thank you, gaylesfolly and Tamara for your suggestions. I have finished the baby diaper wreath. I made roses out of baby washcloths and attached the book in the middle of the wreath using wide ribbon with a bow attached at the top. I always worry about how things that I make look but when my husband saw the wreath this morning, he thought that it looks good. So, now I hoping to get started on the diaper cake. I am most grateful to you gaylesfolly and you Tamara for the advice but I would like to hear from others as well regarding the idea of not adding baby items to the cake and instead using flowers and ribbons. I can't decide if I want to use the traditional way of wrapping the diapers around and around each other or doing them individually {sp?} the way I mentioned in my original post here. I had thought that I would go out and buy baby items to use on the "cake" but then I saw one on Ebay that used only flowers, tulle, ribbons, etc... When I have a ton of flowers, ribbon, tulle, beading, etc... in soft shades of pink, yellow, and white left over from the last wedding that I did. So, I was think that I could save money that way but I really could use some input on this. Thank you to everyone for your help.

[> [> Re: Questions -Baby Diaper Wreath & Cake -- Mary (mosaic1), 01:13:46 05/26/06 Fri [1]

Amanda,
I make my diaper cakes with the diapers rolled individually. I take each folded diaper, roll it up and secure with a rubber band. Use an empty paper towel or tp roll to start the cake. With a large rubber band, secure the inner circle around the empty roll, and then continue to add circles until you get to the desired diameter. I then run a ribbon around the outside rubber band to conceal it. Put flowers in the paper towel roll (cut to the height of the cake), add some more ribbons, slide onto a cardboard and trim it to about one inch larger diameter. I use the pleated lace that you can find at wallyworld in the cake decorating supplies to edge the cardboard. Then add more flowers and ribbons as you see fit, until you're happy with the look. It'll be great, everyone loves them.
For a table centerpiece I've done them in two layers!
HTH, Mary
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:23 pm

Link: Diaper Wreath & Diaper Cakes

Date Posted: 13:47:23 09/27/06 Wed
Author: shilo
Subject: Make some different diaper cakes

These are really different, and cute. Click at the top for a diaper wreath. Tooooooo cute all of them.

http://www.tabenterprises.com/G2index.htm
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:59 pm

Links: Diaper Wreath

Date Posted: 15:35:43 02/13/07 Tue
Author: Crafty Me2
Subject: Diaper Wreath... How to

Heard of the diaper cake? Here's a diaper wreath! Directions found first site...picture example on the lower address!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Diaper-Wreath

http://www.creative-baby-shower-ideas.c ... reath.html

Re: Diaper Wreath... How to -- Bev, 07:57:54 02/14/07 Wed [1]

I will be a new Great Grandma (I've always thought I was already a GREAT grandma) in March, maybe St. Pat's Day. I made a wreath for the new parents and the Daddy's apron. My first try making them and they were the talk of the shower. Thanks to all the ladies who share these wonderful projects and ideas.

Re: Diaper Wreath... How to -- Amanda F, 01:45:08 02/15/07 Thu [1]

Crafty Me2,
Thank you for sharing the instructions. I have made these before and they usually come from the fact that after I make a baby diaper cake that I have enough diapers left over to make the wreath as well. I do things a little different than the usual cake and wreath. I use ribbons, beads, silk roses {or ones made from baby washclothes}, etc... instead of baby items. The mothers that I have given them to, loved them and used them for decoration in the baby's room. I thought that I would just give everyone that idea as well. Thank you again for sharing the instructions.
Smiles,
Amanda

Re: Diaper Wreath... How to -- wendy, 15:47:35 02/13/07 Tue [1]

I made one for my sisters shower last spring. They are just too cute!
wendy

Re: Diaper Wreath... How to -- Grandma Bonnie, 11:15:24 02/15/07 Thu [1]

I also made the diaper wreath - last minute gift, but no foam wreath shape(how many of us are scrambling to do something and all the stores are closed ) - so I improvised and used a hoop used for embroidery - easy to do.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Site That Will Provide Different Diaper Cake Ideas
Date Posted: 20:07:45 05/08/07 Tue
Author: Mary (mosaic1)
Subject: NEW baby shower, diaper cake ideas!

I checked out a like posted by CraftyMe2 and followed more links from there......look what I found! Some great new ideas for baby showers!
http://www.diapergiftsonline.com/portfolio.html

Diaper Wreath Base

Date Posted: 11:15:05 06/30/07 Sat
Author: Angie
Subject: Need help with diaper wreath

When making a diaper wreath - what do you use as a base form for the wreath?

[> Re: Need help with diaper wreath -- jeanie, 11:18:31 06/30/07 Sat [1]

1-pc 12 inch foam wreath or straw or wire
http://www.babyshowerscentral.com/diaperwreath.shtml hth
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Pictures for Diaper Cake Ideas

Date Posted: 12:53:36 07/13/07 Fri
Author: Jodi
Subject: look at these diaper cakes!

http://www.showeryourbaby.com/bashsu.html

Going to a shower and thought I would see something new and came across these. Now I know they have been around for awhile but 100.00????? Yikes! They're cute tho
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:55 am

Ideas for Diaper Cakes

Date Posted: 11:09:12 09/12/07 Wed
Author: huskerfan
Subject: Diaper Cakes

Found these Diaper Cakes on another site. Really cute but look at the prices. I thought of Dawn Lynne right away and thought it might help her price her towel cakes. Also know some of you could make them.
http://www.giftbasketvault.com/site/1323447/page/904868

Linda
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:14 pm

Link: Diaper Cakes

Date Posted: 20:58:36 02/23/08 Sat
Author: Jaunice
Subject: diaper cakes

http://www.creative-baby-shower-ideas.c ... -cake.html
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:37 pm

Instructions: How to Make a Sheet-Cake Style Diaper Cake

Date Posted: 13:13:53 02/23/08 Sat
Author: Amanda
Subject: ISO: A Different Kind Of Diaper Cake

I am looking for a different kind of diaper cake that I'm pretty sure someone mentioned here on the board a long time ago {it's seems like maybe years ago but I'm not for sure about that}. This diaper cake wasn't like the one you usually see where the diapers are taken out of the package, rolled and then tied together to make a round layered looking cake..something like a wedding cake.

The lady who posted about the cake that she made said that she left the entire package of diapers unopened, attached them something to a cake board {the kind that you get from the bakery}, covered it with a baby blanket and then decorated somehow. Does anyone remember this cake or could any of you wonderfully talented ladies help me figure it out? I have been searching and searching the archives but can't find anything about it, of course it was probably right in front of me and I missed it....lol

I would really like to make this sort of diaper cake for my niece's up coming baby shower since I made the other kind for her sister and I just want it to be something different. Thank you all of any help, suggestions, insight, or advice that you can offer.

Re: ISO: A Different Kind Of Diaper Cake -- gaylesfolly, 13:23:09 02/23/08 Sat [1]

i think this was me. i do make that type of cake, but i'm sure others have thought of it also. i am computer challanged, but will tell you what i did.

Instructions
i make my cake look like a sheet cake.....just glue the unopened packet of diapers to a cake board. then i make it look like a bed. roll up a onzie and put at the top of the bed. then fold a cute receiving blanket to just cover the bed and straight pin it in place, covering the onzie like it were a pillow. i use the gathered lace around the bottom to make it look neat. then i just lay things on the bed like you were going to dress a baby...there are booties, a small outfit, bib....get the idea. i take baby sock and make flowers and pin them to the top of the cake and add the comb and brush, and a pacifer on a holder. just think like you are a cake decorator and just low calorie (lol) items to decorate with. i add small loops or ribbon in with the sock flowers. also i glue the diaper package down with rubber cement glue.

hope this does help.

Re: ISO: A Different Kind Of Diaper Cake -- Amanda (Doing The Happy Dance), 02:49:46 02/24/08 Sun [1]

Gaylesfolly,
I haven't seen your first post about this sort of diaper cake. It is along the same lines as the one that I was thinking about but the person didn't add all of the cute touches that you did. I think that you did a great job of explaining what you did and I could really picture it in my mind. Please don't worry about being computer challanged because I'm challanged as well...I usually have to see a picture of something before I can even think about trying it but you did such a great job with your description that I really can see the picture in my mind. I think that it will work perfectly for what I am wanting to do.

One reason that I really wanted to make these sort of diaper cake instead of the one where the diapers are rolled up is because the two mother to be's that I made them for, later told me that it was hard to use the diapers with them being rolled. So, thank you, thank you, thank you so very much for helping me with this diaper cake. I think that everyone at the shower will love it.
Hugs,
Amanda

Re: ISO: A Different Kind Of Diaper Cake -- gaylesfolly, 21:52:00 02/24/08 Sun [1]

glad you can figure this out. i like making the cakes this way, because they stay clean. i do not even open the package. good to know that they will be easier to use also.
it really is a pretty cake. i forgot to say i add small loops or ribbon in with the sock flowers. also i glue the diaper package down with rubber cement glue. you get the idea, and maybe you can show yours.
okay the race is on to see who will show their cake first.
on your mark, get set..............................go
gayle
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:08 am

Tutorial: Diaper Cake

Date Posted: 22:29:22 02/16/09 Mon
Author: Annie~B
Subject: Diaper Cake - Very cute

http://susiestampalot.blogspot.com/2008 ... -cake.html

Re: Diaper Cake - Very cute -- KrafteeKaren, 00:20:05 02/17/09 Tue [1]

So much easier looking than the one I made for Allison's baby shower. Of course I made it so that it could be taken apart in 3 sections and then put back together for traveling. Thanks for sharing, I'm saving it for the next one I make.
Hugs

Re: Diaper Cake - Very cute -- Huskerfan, 13:23:09 02/17/09 Tue [1]

Oh my those do look easy. Kind of expensive as diapers cost so much but fun. I have it saved for sure.
Linda
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:27 am

Poem for Bea's Diaper Wreath

Date Posted: 08:13:41 06/27/09 Sat
Author: Bea
Subject: Need Poem..Please

Good morning ladies, I made a Diaper Wreath, and am now wondering if anyone can come up with a poem for me to put on a tag. This is their 3rd child, the name is going to be a 'surprise', It's a girl, and she has 1 lovely set of parents, 1 sister, 1 brother and 2 dogs waiting on her. Of course I am not giving you to much notice...the shower is today @ 2pm!! LOL
TIA
Bea
Picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/ ... wreath.jpg

[> Re: Need Poem..Please -- Doreen, 09:27:09 06/27/09 Sat [1]

Well Bea with not much time and no picture, now you are expecting a little too much eh LOL!
But what are friends for and this was quite a challenge so here goes...first of all with a wave of my magic wand I was able to see this...

...and I think it's amazingly lovely, well done! And now for a poem, here goes...hope it is what you are hoping for...

Here's A Diaper Wreath for Baby No.3
Whose name will be a surprise ~
With a teething ring and baby booties
And other pink girly supplies...
Here's hoping you'll find these useful
When the right time will come,
Then everyone can join in using them
In some great family fun!
Doreen Scerri © 2009

Enjoy the shower!

[> [> Re: Need Poem..Please -- Bea (happy), 12:15:16 06/27/09 Sat [1]

THANK YOU---THANK YOU---THANK YOU! You are such a sweetheart to do this for me! An extra hug & kiss is going out for you!
Thanks
Bea
crafterwannabe

Next

Return to Baby Shower & Gift Archive Board