Preserving Leaves so they're soft/pliable

Put the instructions for your crafts here. You can add your pic right here or link to it.

Moderators: PattyWV, Caboobie, angela, crafterwannabe, vheyovs50i, Wilma, krafteekaren, Craftsayings Users, Maintainer

Preserving Leaves so they're soft/pliable

Postby Lisajo » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:24 am

Here's a technique to preserve autumn leaves and a little craft project to do with them.

The way to preserve the leaves is to submerge them in a solution of glycerin and water. Use a mixture of one part glycerin to two parts water.
Place the mixture in a flat pan, and totally submerge the leaves in a single layer in the liquid. You'll have to weight them down to keep them submerged. In two to six days, they should have absorbed the liquid and be soft and pliable. Remove them from the pan and wipe off all the liquid with a soft cloth. Done correctly, the leaves will remain soft and pliable indefinitely.

If you can find the large oak leaves or any that are well colored and 4 to 6 inches in size preserve them in the manner described above. Next transfer autumn rub-ons or paint small autumn scenes onto the leaves and frame for a wonderful home dec project. You can do these with barns, scarecrows and pumpkins, or whatever tickles your fancy ~ they make awesome and unique gifts.
Lisajo

Postby Fauxma » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:34 am

Thanks for posting this Lisajo.. that's a wonderful idea to put images on once they're preserved :lol: :lol: i've been thinking about trying this with some native mulberry branches... they say that you just have to pound the last 2" to absorb the mixture... takes about a week i've heard... Ever tried that? I wanted to make a mock tree in the living room and put some fairy lights on them.. hugzzzzzz
Fauxma

Return to Instruction Board