INSTRUCTIONS: WAXED ANIMALS

Put the instructions for your crafts here. You can add your pic right here or link to it.

Moderators: PattyWV, Caboobie, angela, crafterwannabe, vheyovs50i, Wilma, krafteekaren, Craftsayings Users, Maintainer

INSTRUCTIONS: WAXED ANIMALS

Postby evitalouise » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:37 pm

Note: You may also want to look at this post on the Sayings Archive Board:
http://www.craftsayings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1829

Date Posted: 23:49:21 09/21/04 Tue
Author: Shirley S
Subject: Waxed Stuffed Animals

Hi Ginny,
Could you give instruction on how to make wax stuffed animals? How easy is this project? Could seniors do it? Do the animals have to be new or just very clean?
Thanks a million. Always looking for projects that I can do with the seniors.
Shirley S
Replies:

Re: Waxed Stuffed Animals -- Ginny, 08:47:09 09/22/04 Wed [1]

This could definately be done by seniors. Animals can be new or used just in good shape. I have found that you need to be sure they are stuffed with fiberfill and not the plastic beads.

Melt your wax in a double boiler. (I don't have one so I put a clean coffee can in a larger pan. Add water to the larger pan and wax in the coffee can) Once wax is melted add scent of your choice. Submerge animal in the wax and lift out with tongs and squeeze excess wax out with tongs. Place on a cooling rack with foil under the rack to catch drips. At this time start "forking" the animal. Use a fork to fluff up the fur. Once the animal stops dripping set on a pan covered with aluminum foil and pose it. Sometimes you might need to prop the head up. I have used a variety of things to do this so go with what works. Allow to cool completely.

There are lots of sites with illustrated instructions if I didn't explain this well. Have fun!!
evitalouise

Postby MIEL » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:51 am

Wax Bears

Date Posted: 14:13:50 11/08/04 Mon
Author: Pat P
Subject: Question ... Wax Bears

I have a question to anyone who has done the waxed bears.

I've seen two kinds of wax ... one called premium wax (in 11 lb bricks and soy wax ... which is better or do 'you' prefer one over the other for better results?

Then the type of bear ... any suggestions?

Oil ... do you put oil on wax AFTER waxing the bear or do you scent the oil when you melt the wax before dipping the bear? What type of oil is best, also?

And does anyone use the microwave to melt the wax or do you use a double boiler ... preference?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my queries ... I do appreciate it.

{{Hugs}}
Pat P

[> Re: Question ... Wax Bears -- Pat P, 12:12:20 11/09/04 Tue [1]

Thanks Jill and Christine. I do appreciate your help ... I haven't done these yet, but the last craft fair I was at with my daughter (she was a vendor) the lady beside sold out of all her scented bears by noon (and the fair started at 10!!!). They are real hot this year and I bought one for my mother-in-law who collects them, but thought it would be nice to surprise my other family members with them this year. Thanks for the sites, Christine, I'll check them out ... and if you don't mind ... when you come across the name of the company you get your bears at, would you mind letting me know? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again,
{{Hugs}},
Pat P

[> Re: Question ... Wax Bears -- Jill, 15:35:44 11/08/04 Mon [1]

I use the 10 lbs brick slabs. And I put in the oil when the wax is almost melted. I have used any stuffed animal. The only animals that doesn't work is the slick fabric ones.
I have not use the microwave to melt my wax. I use an old canner and put it inside another canner with water.
If you have any other questions please feel free to let me know and I will help al that I can. I also have pictures of One that I made a few weeks ago.

[> Re: Question ... Wax Bears -- Christine, 19:00:36 11/08/04 Mon [1]

Pat, Hi Here are some site that I think you may find helpful, I know I did. www.wicks-wax-scents.com Or www.craftlobby.com ( they actually have instructions on wax dipped bears) and www.waxteddybears.com I haven't tried to wax dip bears yet, I am waiting for them to come in ( bought through a craft supplier-name???) Would have to look up and let you know. They say long hair bears are better but you can use any you want. I use the 10lb slab of wax also and Scented Wax Cubes to scent my wax. First you would melt the wax and then add the scent before you dip your bear. I use a Presto Kitchen Kettle to melt my wax- avalible at WalMart for about $20. I have dipped ornaments and rag balls so far and am loving it. They smell sooo good (working on cinnamon right now and want to try "angel wings" scent too). Hope I've helped alittle anyway. Feel free to drop me an e-mail also if you have any other questions. I'm pretty much just learning but I'm willing to share what I know. Happy Crafting!!!! Christine
MIEL

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:46 am

Ideas for Removing Spilled Wax

Date Posted: 01:08:00 09/18/05 Sun
Author: JAR
Subject: NEED HELP........SPILT WAX

I HAD SO MUCH FUN MAKING THOSE WAX DIPPED BEARS BUT I GOT DIZZY ONE DAY WHILE I WAS HOLDING THE BEAR UP TO DRIP AND GOT THE WAX ALL OVER THE STOVE, FLOOR AND MY CLOTHES. I WAS BAD AND DIDN'T WEAR AN APRON AND NOW I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET THE WAX OUT OF MY CLOTHES. CAN ANYONE HELP. oh I think I am shouting. please forgive me. hugz Judy

Replies:
[> Re: NEED HELP........SPILT WAX -- Caboobie, 05:06:25 09/18/05 Sun [1]

I remember reading somewhere that you could put some brown paper on top of the wax and then iron it. The paper soaks up the wax. Has anyone else heard of this?

[> Re: NEED HELP........SPILT WAX -- Marti in Mexico, 09:16:39 09/18/05 Sun [1]

Have your clothes dry cleaned. The dry cleaning chemicals and process easily remove all wax. It's much easier if you have a lot of wax than trying to get it out with the ironing process.
Marti in Mexico

[> Re: NEED HELP........SPILT WAX -- Cathy in MT, 13:57:04 09/18/05 Sun [1]

My only luck with wax on clothes has been with dry cleaning. You can iron out small pieces of wax with the brown paper method but sometimes it leaves a permanent mark where the wax has been and the dry cleaners don't. Been there and done that. Cathy
crafterwannabe

Return to Instruction Board