PINECONE CRAFT & DECORATING IDEAS

Archives of all Christmas related craft projects.

Moderators: Caboobie, crafterwannabe, krafteekaren, Craftsayings Users, Maintainer

PINECONE CRAFT & DECORATING IDEAS

Postby krafteekaren » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:13 am

PINECONE CRAFT IDEAS

Note: For poems on a few pinecone crafts mentioned on this thread, see this post:
viewtopic.php?t=12751

Poem for Pine Cone Angel:
viewtopic.php?t=17181

Date Posted: 23:16:58 09/09/02 Mon
Author: sherryb
Subject: Pine cone crafts

Hi!
I live in the forest and want to take advantage of all the lovely pinecones that are falling now!
Do any of you ladies have patterns, ideas, websites or links that I could look at?
Thank you in advance!
Happy Day! �
sherryb in AZ

Re: Pine cone crafts -- crafterwannabe, 02:31:00 09/10/02 Tue [1]

My favorite pinecone craft is an angel ornament. I don't have the capability to show a picture and frankly I've never seen one on the web as pretty as one I saw in an old Family Circle magazine maybe 10 years ago.

Gold Pinecone Angel Ornament
Need: Pinecone (long, slender ones look best), 2 silk leaves, hazelnut, 1/8" gold silk ribbon, glue gun, gold spray paint.
Instructions: With glue gun, glue hazelnut to stem end of pinecone as head (make the textured top of the nut face forward as the face). Glue silk leaves just below hazelnut as wings. Spray paint the entire ornament gold (or another metallic you like). Glue a ribbon hanger loop to the back of the pinecone. Sometimes I find it easier to spray paint the leaves first. Don't worry if part of the green on the leaves comes through or every single spot on the pinecone does not have gold. I may try a few white ones this year too and "dust" them with some gold glitter for sparkle - thought they'd show up good on green trees.
Picture, although not the best - this was before I added a bow:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/ ... ngelCB.jpg

First may I suggest you go to Craft at Home to find out out to de-bug and open up your pinecones in a low oven. Susan also has a few pinecone crafts on the site and you'll also see how lovely a basket of pinecones and evergreens looks for a centerpiece.
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/dry-pinecones.shtml

Of course, there are peanut butter birdfeeders, turkey place card holders, pinecone flowers, pinecone Christmas trees (in addition to large trees you build on a cone, take a little terra cotta pot & glue on a pinecone that has been glittered up a bit - need a fat one & place narrow end up to resemble a tree).

I'm also doing candle jars this year (use canning jars). I'm putting some pieces of evergreen garland (I'm using artificial) in the jar along with a pinecone and some snow (I'm using snow I have from my snow village-what's called fresh snow not the little plastic pieces). Last year I found packages of 4 little stuffed snowmen in Wal-Mart's craft section - will place one of those inside facing what will be the front of the jar. When you have everything in the jar, place a glass flowerpot votive holder inside the jar top, add a touch of snow and a white candle. If you want, write Let it Snow around the rim of the flowerpot. Combine a piece of checked homespun and raffia and tie a bow around the rim in the front of the jar (this covers the jar ridges). OK, a little more than a pinecone but they are very cute. Sorry I'm so wordy & I'm not the greatest explaining what I mean. See 2nd picture - not close-up and it was scanned.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/ ... ects-1.jpg

Re: Pine cone crafts -- Julie, 23:26:28 09/12/02 Thu [1]

I made pinecone baskets using wicker baskets and use a small string of lights. I will try to get a pic on soon. They do use alot of pine cones.

Re: Pine cone crafts -- gingersnap, 09:03:11 09/13/02 Fri [1]

Spiced Pinecones

Pinecones
Ground ginger
Ground cinnamon
Or any crushed dry spice you wish
craft glue
foam brush

Mix 1 part glue to 1 part water. Use foam brush to paint the pinecone. Mix equal parts of the spices in a bowl. Sprinkle spice over the pinecone and roll in spice. When coated, allow to dry.

Uses: You can use these in baskets, glued on wreaths, or even solo, as an ornament. Hot glue a ribbon the the very top of the pinecone. Add accents to the top, such a spanish moss, raffia or dried flowers.

Bleached Pinecones

Pinecones
household liquid bleach
large bucket
glass plate
a rock or brick
foil lined baking sheet

Best done outside in a well-ventilated area. Do not splash bleach. Work carefully. Place pinecones in bucket; add bleach to cover. Place plate on top of pinecones and weight with rock or brick to keep the pinecones covered with the bleach. Allow to sit for five hours. Remove pinecones from bleach (use gloves) and place on baking sheet covered with foil. Place in 250 degree oven for several hours until they reopen completely. The time will depend on how large the pinecone is.

Uses: You can use the same as above. Also they are pretty placed among your garland or even on the Christmas tree itself.

Scented Pinecones

Pinecones
paraffin
doubleboiler
tongs
crayons with paper removed
cinnamon oil, or other scents
newspaper

Cover work area with newspaper. Melt paraffin a double boiler over hot water (heat BEFORE adding paraffin). Add pieces of crayon to paraffin after it has melted. Red or green would be good for Christmas. Add until the color is as you would like it. Add scented oil. Holding pinecones with tongs, dip in paraffin. Allow to dry between coats. Continue coating until fully covered. Allow paraffin to dry completely before storing or using pinecones.

Uses: These can be given and used as firestarters or placed in bowls to scent a room.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nature Muffins

Date Posted: 02:19:28 11/08/03 Sat
Author: Genie
Subject: Nature Muffins

Getting ready for my Craft show this weekend and made Nature Muffins for the first time. I found the baskets at $$ store, and they are perfect. I used the instructions from Shirley and Jazbo.
My neighbors helped me by collecting pine cones, acorns and droppings from all the trees here. I also found some really cute pine cones from one of the neighbors. I mixed my ingredients with some old potpourri and some wonderful old wax candles that I saved. (never know when you are going to need them) You also need some butchers cord, Most super markets will give you some for free. I cut the pieces into 6" strips. and laid them in the muffin paper and a little hanging out on the side. After mixing I stuffed the muffin papers as full as I could get them leaving some wick hanging out, and then poured the wax over the mixture. They really look like muffins. I then dipped the pine cones in wax several times and then sprinkled epson salts over them. (This will make them burn blue I think) I shredded some paper with my office paper shredder and placed in the bottom of the basked, 3 pine cones. Added a little more paper, and then added a row of 3 more pine cones on the top. This made a little ridge, and then I place 3 nature muffins on one side and 3 on the other side. I also added some fat wood and a little box of matches. They turned out sooooooooooo cute.
You all should try this, it is inexpensive and fun to make. I bagged them in cello, used Shirley's poem and they will make a wonderful gift.

[> Re: Nature Muffins -- Kay(PA), 11:00:42 11/14/03 Fri [1]

Could you share the poem you put with the basket. I don't recall seeing it before.

[> Re: Nature Muffins -- Mad Mary, 23:51:16 12/01/03 Mon [1]

Use left over scented candle stubs for yummy smelling ones.

[> Re: Nature Muffins -- deescreativetreasures, 01:15:13 12/02/03 Tue [1]

Hi, I've been a lurker for awhile and thought I'd jump in and participate. You can also use pine pet bedding in muffin cups with scented wax.

[> Re: Nature Muffins -- CraftyGardener, 08:00:23 12/01/03 Mon [1]

Poem
When trying to start a fire
don't let it raise your ire.
Keep nature muffins handy
for lighting up naturally!
by shirleyt@craftsayings.com

If you don't have pinecones, gather nature items like
...dried leaves, acorn caps, small dried weeds
...dried stems & clippings from herbs
...old floral dried potpourri
...pistachio nut shells
Line a muffin tin with muffin papers. Add your dried items, then pour your melted-down, left-over candle stubs into the papers, about 2/3 full. For color, melt crayons in with the wax. You can add a wick if you like. We usually just set them in the fireplace or wood-burning stove & light the paper.
For gift-giving, put several in a small basket or in a mesh bag.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date Posted: 15:47:19 04/01/04 Thu
Author: Deb in GA
Subject: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL

Hugs again, it is me.
As most of you know, I have moved and have several pine trees in my yard. Well I have pick up about 15 -33 gallon bags of pines cones......and I have a clean yard! LOL

What can I do with pines cones that are falling now? they are HUGE ones.......I saved one that I know is 10 inches tall.......and about 8 inches around! Just Beautiful. What can I use them for other than fire starters.......???? Does anyone need some? IO can ship them if you want to pay postage. I am sure postage would be cheap..they are so light.
Let me know.....
Hugs me in GA

Archiver's Note: Many posts requesting pinecones were deleted. Left only those posts suggesting ways to use pinecones.

Replies:
[> Re: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL -- Diane, 23:50:52 04/08/04 Thu [1]

Large pine cones!!!! They are great to have. I would pick them up every time we went to Charleston SC to my son's. My dh thought that we were nuts out gathering boxes of pine cones every where. We would bring the back of a pickup truck load about once a year for 3 years. Son no longer in SC. I sold the pine cones at craft shows and made ornaments out of them. Gather lace around the top with some greens, bells, gold somethings and a red or green ribbon for hanging. The ones we gathered were not that large and people here in PA thought they were large. Most said that they never saw any that large. One lady bought aboout 30 to make bird feeder for a day care. She said they would spread with peanut butter and then roll in bird seed. Sold decorated ornaments for $1.00 each. Plain ones were 6 for $1.00.
Hope this helps. Diane

[> Re: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL -- valerie_nyr4, 17:46:03 04/01/04 Thu [1]

Last year I made snowmen out of them...if the pine cones are opened...you can put wrapped mints all around...
A wooden ball for the head..a felt hat and a scarf..sold them for $5...hardest part was putting in the mints..I had to cut the sharp points off...lol..
Thanks for the offer..
I'll be at a 2 day craft show..so I may not get to the computer until late Saturday....
Have a happy..raining here...
valerie_nyr4

[> Re: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL -- Ginny, 18:19:29 04/01/04 Thu [1]

I have a pattern somewhere for a bowl that you make from pinecones. I will hunt for it tonight and post it as soon as I find it.

[> [> Re: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL -- Christine, 09:47:09 04/02/04 Fri [1]

Hi I was just a a craft show this past weekend and there was a lady there who made baskets wreaths and swags out of pine cones and then sprayed them with a spray paint. I don't have any patterns for these but they couldn't be that hard. It looked like she used wire and glue to keep them together. On the wreaths all she did was use a cardboard cutout as the base(sprayed with same color as pinecones to blend) and then glue and paint the pine cones. The swa had 4-5 pine cones in the middle acscented with ucoliptis and some dried flowers. And some of the bigger baskets had those electric "flickering" candles in the middle of the flowers. Looked gorgeous! Almost bought one but am in RI and we are going into spring now, Would of made a great holiday centerpiece. But I am trying to dig myself out from under "stuff" ha ha ha. Will be looking for it come Christmas though. Hope this gives you some ideas for all your pine cones. Happy Crafting!!!! Christine

[> Re: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL -- Lisa, 20:38:34 04/01/04 Thu [1]

Deb, I lived in Ga. a couple of years when I was younger. We used the big ones to make mini Xmas trees. We spray painted them green and used mini lights and decorations. Lined them up on a mantle in some angel hair. Looked real pretty at night when it was all lit up. I spray painted some gold and hung them upside down and used for ornaments on the Christmas tree too. Hope this helps, Lisa

[> Re: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL -- craftster, 09:33:25 04/02/04 Fri [1]

If you do a search on http://www.marthastewart.com you should find some ideas. One I remember is using the petals of the large pinecones to decorate the roof of a birdhouse. I have a bought Christmas bell that is made with these petals. It is on a wooden base and the petals are glued on like shingles then the tips were brushed with gold. I really like the way it looks.

[> Re: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL -- Caboobie, 14:57:33 04/09/04 Fri [1]

Last year we were given a bag of pine cones at school. I decided they'd make nice tree decorations for the children to take home. We sprayed them silver and let them dry, then we tied a piece of ribbon around the top of the cone to provide a hook to hang it up. Next we dabbed the ends of the cone in glue and dipped them in multicoloured glitter. When they were dry we put them into a small plastic bag and tied it up with ribbon to take home.

Just thought this might help with ideas. The kids loved them and their mums were really impressed as they looked so nice.

[> Re: Pine Cone crafts or do you need any? HELP....LOL -- Marcia Loftin, 16:35:31 04/11/04 Sun [1]

Can I join in too? I moved from Oregon three years ago where we did crafts with pine cones for christmas each year, never thought I would miss them, but I do. Did you know if you cut them across you will have lovely rosettes? I too would love to have some if there is any left, I will gladly pay postage, and send you something from Ohio if there is anything from here that you would like, lot of slate here that I paint on, but it is very heavy to ship, some buckeyes when in season? I will try to find my old craft book with cone crafts, I love crafting. Marcia
krafteekaren

Postby crafterwannabe » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:39 pm

FIND MORE PINECONE IDEAS

Date Posted: 21:17:11 07/30/04 Fri
Author: Kathy
Subject: What to do with pine cones?

We have pine cones laying all over the ground outside my workplace. Just wondering what kinds of crafts can you make with them besides a Christmas ornament or melting wax over them to burn in the fireplace. Anyone have any new ideas?
Kathy

Replies:
[> Re: What to do with pine cones? -- melinda ny, 07:11:43 07/31/04 Sat [1]
you never said what size they are. So with small ones, I used them for hair on my angels,and filler for some canoes that i had made(ornaments). Med. ones i make angels and here again, lg. ones, angels!!!! (ornaments)

What about a wreath, they used to be everywhere, now, not so much.

I've taken the petals off the cone to glue for roofs on bird houses. and if you cut them just right, you can have flowers...
Melinda ny

[> Re: What to do with pine cones? -- Kathy, 10:18:50 07/31/04 Sat [1]
Thanks for the great ideas! Most of the pine cones here are what I call a medium to large size; about 7-8" tall and 5-6" in diameter maybe. I've never had this much access to pine cones and I just hate them all to go to waste. Maybe I'll try some of these crafts soon. Pine cones are always a delight for winter crafts.

[> Re: What to do with pine cones? -- julie, 11:11:37 07/31/04 Sat [1]
i have used them to make baskets glue them in place and then use greenery to fill and then add a small string of lights they make great gifts.

[> Re: What to do with pine cones? -- Sue, Tx, 22:17:59 07/30/04 Fri [1]
Here's a whole page:
http://www.make-stuff.com/recycling/pinecones.html

[> Re: What to do with pine cones? -- kelliwv, 22:45:35 07/30/04 Fri [1]

We drove to the Carolinas to get the really big ones once. Just remember that whatever you do with them, you really should bake them on cookie sheets in a single layer at about 150* for a couple of hours before you do anything else to them. There are little bugs and critters living deep inside them and they'll come out when you least expect it if you don't kill them with heat.
Kelli

[> Re: What to do with pine cones? -- Dorothy, 23:41:16 07/30/04 Fri [1]
It's not a new idea, but you can stuff them with lard or peanut butter and roll them in birdseed. They make great gifts for bird lovers.

Note: Craft at Home has some pinecone projects. Scroll down to list of project links and look for Pinecones on the right.
http://www.craftathome.com/free_studio.html
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby MIEL » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:28 am

Super Easy Scented Pinecones!

Date Posted: 21:43:12 09/04/04 Sat
Author: Lori Jean
Subject: Super Easy Scented Pinecones!

This is such an easy recipe!

Scented Pinecones

Cinnamon*
Ginger*
Nutmeg*
Craft glue mixed with equal amounts of
Water
Foam brush
Pinecones

*Add any other spices that you like the smell of. Mix in the proportions that you desire (I'd go heavy on the cinnamon as I love the smell).

Rinse pinecones under running water. Lay the pinecones on an old cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees until the pinecones open up (this not only kills any little beasties that may be residing within the pinecones but also melts the sap resulting in a pretty glaze).

Spread pinecones out on layers of newspapers and set aside to dry completely

Use the foam brush to apply the glue to the pinecones.

Mix the spices in a bowl using a wire wisk. Roll the pinecone in the spice or add the spices to a baggie; add the pinecones one at a time and shake to coat (like shake-n-bake)

When coated, allow to dry thoroughly.

Use these wonderfully-scented pinecones in gift baskets, as christmas tree ornaments, on christmas wreaths, or placed in bowls to add a wonderful scent to a room.

If, after storing, you need to refresh the scent of the pinecones just stick them in a microwave until the smell if revived.

Hugs,
Lori Jean
MIEL

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:50 pm

How to Dry Pinecones to Get Rid of Critters

Date Posted: 14:58:47 09/30/04 Thu
Author: LeeW
Subject: pinecone question

I know that when you collect pinecones for crafts that you should bake them in the oven to get rid of any little critters that might be living in them. Does anyone know what temperature and for how long I should do this. I collected these from all over, so I would hate to burn them to a crisp LOL

Replies:
[> Re: pinecone question -- crafterwannabe, 15:50:36 09/30/04 Thu [1]

I can never remember this year to year but I know that Susan has a page in her project archives. There are pinecone projects too if you're interested (under Nature/Floral Projects).

Craft At Home via AllFreeCrafts - How to Dry Pinecones
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/dry-pinecones.shtml

[> Re: pinecone question -- LeeW, 15:58:17 09/30/04 Thu [1]

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for!

[> Re: pinecone question -- Deb from Pa, 17:01:42 09/30/04 Thu [1]

I just put mine on an old window screen, and stick them in my oven....with just the pilot on......gas oven....after a day, they are all opened and the critters are gone.....LOL
Most are laying on the aluminum foil on the bottom of my oven......

Re: Community College Christmas -- Doreen, 08:05:56 10/30/09 Fri [1]
Another Source:
...if you are getting pinecones, etc from the ground make sure you prepare them properly...here is a good page to read
http://tipnut.com/how-to-prepare-preserve-pinecones/

Archiver's Note: This post is also on the How To Board.
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:15 pm

Silver Pine Cone Legend & More

Date Posted: 20:04:56 01/07/06 Sat
Author: MaryLee
Subject: Need help finding something

I can't seem to find the legend of the silver pine cone. I thought I saved it. I found some silver pine cones for next year and I wanted to put the poem with them so I don't lose it.

Replies:
[> Re: Need help finding something -- Leli, 20:18:34 01/07/06 Sat [1]

Is this what you're looking for ?.... http://pineconelady.com/silvercone.html

[> Re: Need help finding something -- MaryLee, 20:22:25 01/07/06 Sat [1]

That's the one, thank you soooooooooooooo much !!!!!!!!!

[> Re: Need help finding something -- leli, 20:27:52 01/07/06 Sat [1]

You're soooooooooooooooooo welcome.......LOL !!!
Date Posted: 23:49:08 01/28/06 Sat
Author: Debby
Subject: Pinecone Crafts and Critters

Hi all! I am a little new to this message board so I am not sure if this is being done correct but here goes. I am going to be working with pinecones to make some decorations for my home and my office. I am looking to make critters and need a theme and name for my project using pinecones. Something like Holidays in Pine Valley, Pine Valley Holidays, etc. I will be making a miniature house from all kinds of pine and pinecones and of course the critters and characters. I have some ideas already and need more imagination working for me. I have angels, santas, carolers, owls, reindeer, skiers, turtles, squirrel, turkeys, ostriches, christmas trees, wreaths and even a gazebo. If there is anyone who has any ideas, I would love to hear from you. No matter how little you think your idea is. It might even spark me to think of something else. I look forward to hearing from you.

Replies:
[> Re: Pinecone Crafts and Critters -- Fay in Australia, 00:37:11 01/29/06 Sun [1]

Hi Debby,
there used to be some good books around, on making creatures from pine cones & things from trees.
Perhaps if you type something into your search engine you may get some good sites. Iam not sure what, maybe Gum Nut Creatures" may help, here in Australia lots of things are made from Gum Nuts & similiar things.
Welcome to posting here, it is a great place with helpful people,
Fay

[> [> Re: Pinecone Crafts and Critters -- Debby, 00:54:24 01/29/06 Sun [1]

Thanks so much for your help. I will do so!

[> Re: Pinecone Crafts and Critters -- Ruby,Vt, 11:55:12 01/29/06 Sun [1]

Hi,I see you have squirrels on your list,but just in case you don't have this one ,here goes.... I take tiny cones,a piece to make each ear,4 pieces of craft stem,for the arms and legs,arms a little shorter than ones for legs,wiggley eyes,ribbon under chin and tiny acorn between the arms,I made these as ornaments one year and the kids liked those the best that year,would it be possible for you to post the things you make out of the cones,I for one would like to add to my ornament list,Thanks,Ruby Vt

[> Re: Pinecone Crafts and Critters -- Terri, 20:59:36 01/29/06 Sun [1]

I hope you'll post some pictures of the creatures you make. I'd like to see them.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:33 am

Make Spice-Scented Pinecones

Date Posted: 01:09:23 09/29/06 Fri
Author: Lori Jean
Subject: Found this easy recipe for scented spice scented pinecones!

Cinnamon*
Ginger*
Nutmeg*
Craft glue mixed with equal amounts of
Water
Foam brush
Pinecones

*Add any other spices that you like the smell of. Mix in the proportions that you desire (I'd go heavy on the cinnamon as I love the smell).

Rinse pinecones under running water. Lay the pinecones on an old cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees until the pinecones open up (this not only kills any little beasties that may be residing within the pinecones but also melts the sap resulting in a pretty glaze).

Spread pinecones out on layers of newspapers and set aside to dry completely

Use the foam brush to apply the glue to the pinecones.

Mix the spices in a bowl using a wire wisk. Roll the pinecone in the spice or add the spices to a baggie; add the pinecones one at a time and shake to coat (like shake-n-bake)

When coated, allow to dry thoroughly.

Use these wonderfully-scented pinecones in gift baskets, as christmas tree ornaments, on christmas wreaths, or placed in bowls to add a wonderful scent to a room.

If, after storing, you need to refresh the scent of the pinecones just stick them in a microwave until the smell if revived.

Replies:
[> Re: Found this easy recipe for scented spice scented pinecones! -- Melinda, 15:42:10 09/29/06 Fri [1]

This sounds great. Is there a certain amount you use each time? Like 1/2 cup of each item and it does 10 pinecones? Simply mix all of thise together and put on the pine cone? SOunds lovely.

Thank you for sharing.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:35 am

Make Bird's Nest from Tiny Pinecones

Date Posted: 12:57:10 05/24/06 Wed
Author: lovestodream
Subject: Make a Mini Bird's Nest pine cones

Make ahead for Christmas. Going to make these today.

Make a Mini Bird's Nest - Take baby pinecones and start gluing them together Starting with two or three to form bottom of nest Then keep adding one forming a circle using your hand as a guide. Layer it about 3 to 4 inches high. Put glue down in the middle of nest and stick a bird (I like to use the birds on a wire) through the nest to secure, cut off excess wire at bottom. Add flowers and ribbon around the bird and you have a beautiful ornament to set in tree or to use as part of a centerpiece

Contributed by Brenda from Va., Wdbe5@aol.com
http://www.make-stuff.com/recycling/pinecones.html

good site
hugs lovestodream

Replies:
[> Re: Make a Mini Bird's Nest pine cones -- KPWog, 16:08:20 05/25/06 Thu [1]

This sounds really adorable. I'll have to make this for my sister. The site is great to.
Barbara

[> Re: Make a Mini Bird's Nest pine cones -- lovestodream, 19:04:17 05/25/06 Thu [1]

Aww she going to love them .Am going to put in a glass vase for christmas center piece.I did my birds in white and Another one in red. Got so busy making them forgot to cook lol Have to do better on that lol
Hugs lovestodream

[> Re: Make a Mini Bird's Nest pine cones -- Lori jean, 22:22:18 05/25/06 Thu [1]

Ginger,
I really like your centerpiece idea! I just love birds, so this would be a great project for me! :o)
Hugs,
Lori Jean :o)

[> Re: Make a Mini Bird's Nest pine cones -- fauxma, 22:37:45 05/25/06 Thu [1]

owwwwwwwwwww what a great idea..... and I have a cazillion of those baby cones with all this wind lately....

thanks for sharing Annie in Canada

[> Re: Make a Mini Bird's Nest pine cones -- Lovestodream, 18:54:50 05/26/06 Fri [1]

Your all very welcome .If you make one post picture of yours i am going to post my bird now dont fly off post your's lol Have a blessed weekend all
hugs lovestodream
(ginger)
Annie you going to make a bird?Lori jean Ok girl friend let make birds lol
Barbara you going make a bird? bet we all make differant one's.
Come on let show are birds LOL anyone reading this make one show us.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:42 am

"Trim" Pinecones to Make Roses - Also How to Dye Pinecones

Date Posted: 00:31:44 10/01/06 Sun
Author: Jude_KS
Subject: About the wooden Roses - an alternative....

Sorry I lost the post about these but thought I would send you an idea that I did several years ago...

I have a huge pine tree in my back yard and each year we are flooded with pinecones. As I was picking them up for various craft projects, one
caught my eye because all but about 3 to 4 layers of the petals (not sure what these are really called...) had broken off in the fall.

I took larger and medium sized cones - clipped the center out of them and made up a hot water dye baths of red, rust and gold Rit dye.

I layed the pinecones into the baths and left them overnight. (make sure they are covered completely with the dye bath...
When I rinsed them they had the most wonderful woodlook tint to them and looked like roses. I used them in wreaths, centerpieces and even gave my neice some for her bridal bouquet in late November.

Tip: after using the dye for the pinecones - you can add raffia to the mix and let it set for 24 hours or so for wonderful colored raffia.

Be sure to rinse all well with cool water and wear rubber gloves (something I DIDN'T DO the first time - LOL) I looked everywhere today but couldn't find any samples or pictures.
Just passing the idea along - thought you might
want to try - its easy and beautiful....
Hugs - Jude!
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:35 am

Links: Pinecone Crafts

Date Posted: 11:41:30 11/06/06 Mon
Author: Elaine
Subject: What to do with snowy pinecones?

Hi everyone,
I have had a box of pinecones with "snow" on them for a few years now. They are just sitting in the box. I would like to do something with them. All I can think of doing is attaching a bow at the top and glueing a cardinal on the pine cone. Does anyone have an idea that is more exciting and attractive than this?
Thanks for your help!
Elaine

Replies:
[> Re: What to do with snowy pinecones? -- Nancy K, 13:16:51 11/06/06 Mon [1]

pine cone snowy angel
http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/pineco ... angel1.htm

pine tree decoration
http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/pineco ... ncnorn.htm

all about pinecones
http://pineconelady.com/holidaycrafts.html

potpourri pinecone angel
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/christmas/ ... ngel.shtml

pinecone carolers
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-cr ... ftid=11073

napkin rings
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/rospinconnap.html

pinecone snowman
http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/snowpe ... nowman.htm

this page scroll down a long ways to see pine cone cd, really cute
http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/christmas_page2.html

Pinecone Nest
http://www.pheemcfaddell.com/crafts/chr ... Intro.html

[> Re: What to do with snowy pinecones? -- Elaine, 14:12:33 11/06/06 Mon [1]

Thank you Nancy K.!
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Fri May 23, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:06 am

Link: Pinecone Angel

Date Posted: 08:35:00 10/21/07 Sun
Author: shilo
Subject: Pine cone Angels

http://www.dotcomwomen.com/crafts/pinec ... ment.shtml

[> Re: Pine cone Angels -- amam, 10:52:23 10/21/07 Sun [1]

I made these with my kids, years ago. We had a poem that was called the legend of the pine cone fairy, but I have misplaced it and haven't been able to find it online. Does anyone have that poem and would you please share?

Note from archiver
I found this, not sure if it's the one amam was speaking of.
Wilma

6. The Legend of the Silver Pinecones
Hartz Mountains Germany

Years ago there lived a poor family with barely enough to eat and little wood for a fire to keep warm. In desperation the mother went to the woods to gather pinecones...some to burn, some to sell for food. Suddenly she heard a voice, "Why are you stealing my pinecones?" Beside her was an elf, to whom she told her sad story. With a smile he said, "Go into the next forest. The pinecones there will serve you much better." When she reached the next forest she was very tired and set her basket down...and down fell dozens of pinecones! She gathered them and returned home. When she reached the doorstep she discovered every cone had turned to silver! The family would never be poor again.
To this day the people of the Hartz Mountains keep a silver pinecone on the dresser, for as legend has it...a silver pinecone will bring good fortune your way!

(I will probably have the children paint the pinecones and cover with silver glitter as a little gift for mom and dad sometime).

Archiver's Note: Adding another Woodland Pinecone Angel that is also on the Angel Board - CB:
http://cristmas-crafts.blogspot.com/200 ... angel.html
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 pm

Pinecone Family

Date Posted: 09:18:13 06/04/08 Wed
Subject: Make a cute pinecone family

http://www.runnerduck.com/kc_pcfamily.htm
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:58 am

Date Posted: 06:40:21 11/23/08 Sun
Author: dawgytoez
Subject: pinecone flower

I am looking for a flower, maybe a rose, made from a pinecone. I believe you took the individual petals off the come and somehow glued back together to form a rose. I went and bought the scented pinecones and can't find what Im looking for or remember where I saw it. Help !
Thanks

Replies:
[> Re: pinecone flower -- Brenda, 09:32:55 11/23/08 Sun [1]

http://home.howstuffworks.com/easy-home ... kids10.htm

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 621.html?2
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:40 am

Pinecone Kissing Ball

Date Posted: 09:15:05 12/12/08 Fri
Subject: Pretty Christmas pinecone ornie

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/christmas/ ... ball.shtml