Necktie Crafts, including Angel & Easter Eggs

Archive of all kinds of different Craft Ideas and Projects.

Moderators: Caboobie, crafterwannabe, krafteekaren, Craftsayings Users, Maintainer

Necktie Crafts, including Angel & Easter Eggs

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:13 pm

Date Posted: 10:56:25 01/12/04 Mon
Author: jaz
Subject: Necktie crafts wanted, please.......

Ok - I am on another quest. In a box I just unpacked, I have 100s of neck ties. I am really looking for a pattern of a vest made entirely from ties. Nothing complicated. Years ago, I made a gypsy skirt from ties. Have since lost it. Somewhere I saw a quilt that had a huge dresden plate pattern from ties. Can anyone help?

Replies:
[> Re: Necktie crafts wanted, please....... -- Marcia, 07:24:46 01/14/04 Wed [1]

I posted the directions, but somehow they ended up near the top of the top instead of the bottom of the board. (I'm new at posting, not sure how I got them where they ended up.) If you still don't have them, please email me and I'll send them to you. Beachmsj@aol.com

You do use real eggs and you don't blow them out. Let me know if there are any other questions.
Marcia

[> Re: Necktie crafts wanted, please....... -- arla, 12:42:31 01/12/04 Mon [1]

there at one time was an angel made from ties don't know if anyone still has the directions. was ornaments to hang on tree of like a grandfather or uncle or dad whom had passed away and there was a saying that went with it as well.

[> Re: Necktie crafts wanted, please....... -- Marcia, 07:32:29 01/13/04 Tue [1]

Hi,
Here's the directions that I have to make the eggs. You do have to use a silk tie. The eggs are absolutely beautiful when they're done. I couldn't believe that they were made like this. Good luck in making them. If you have any questions let me know and I'll see what I can find out for you. My friend, Adam, made probably 15 dozen or more of these last year.
Marcia Beachmsj@aol.com

Silk Tie Eggs

Directions:
Wet a scrap of silk material large enough to completely cover an egg.
Wring out excess water.
Wrap silk around the egg covering the whole egg.

Take a strip of cloth and wrap around the egg making sure every area of the egg is covered. (Muslin works real well.) This holds the silk material snugly around the egg.

Place egg in center of net square and secure it with a twist tie.

Place eggs in a crock pot. Cover eggs with water. Cook eggs 4 to 5 hours. Turn crock pot off and allow the eggs to cool.

Remove all the material wrapped around the eggs. Let the eggs dry.

Spray each egg with pearl coat glaze. Let dry. Spray with another coat of the glaze.

These eggs will last for years - as long as they are not cracked. When storing place them in a cardboard egg carton instead of the Styrofoam type.

[> Re: Necktie crafts wanted, please....... -- Marcia, 12:58:32 01/12/04 Mon [1]

jaz,
you can make beautiful Easter eggs from ties. someone i know made them last year and sold them for $20 a dozen. if you'll send me your email i'll send you the directions.....i just happened to run across them this past weekend.

[> Re: Necktie crafts wanted, please....... -- PatP, 13:16:54 01/12/04 Mon [1]

This is what I found in my files ... if I find anymore, I'll post those sites as well.
PatP

Necktie Crafts

Stocking:
Link deleted since it was no longer valid.

Necktie Scarecrow:
Link deleted since it was invalid.

Necktie Vest Inst.:
http://www.masterstech-home.com/The_Sew ... eVest.html

[> Re: Necktie crafts wanted, please....... -- jaz, 14:51:31 01/12/04 Mon [1]

Marcia - thank your for your offer about the Easter eggs.

PatP - The stocking will be just right for all the left over pieces. I think there is a gaudy orange tie for the screcrow, too. I may have to resort to using a commercial pattern but I was hoping for something that was totally ties. Anyway, I saved them all for future reference.
(((hugs)))

[> Re: Necktie crafts wanted, please....... -- jaz, 15:06:55 01/12/04 Mon [1]

Arla - I had not forgotten about your post. I remembered something about the neck tie angel & went searching for it. At one time I think I saw a bunny puppet made with ties. (???) Off to look some more. Thanks for reminding me. (((hugs)))

[> Neck tie bunny puppet -- >^..^<, 15:55:23 01/12/04 Mon [1]

Tie Bunny Puppet
link deleted - invalid

[> Sssslithering necktie ssssnakes -- >^..^<, 16:08:03 01/12/04 Mon [1]

Necktie Snakes
If you have a source or each child can bring in an old neck tie, they make nice snakes. Glue the small end of the tie closed or sew closed. If you want to make a rattle snake you can put a couple of bells in then tie a string to mark the tail end. Finish stuffing with any type of stuffing you have, paper, cotton, Polyfil etc. When you get to the large end glue or sew shut. You can also tie a string about four to five inches from the end to make a head and leave the head floppy. You need to glue on eyes (wigglies are my favorite) and a red felt tongue.

These not only make cute toys but door draft dodgers when placed along the bottom of a closed door.
http://www.hummingbirded.com/reptiles.html

http://www.craftown.com/kids/kc25.htm

[> Re: Necktie crafts wanted, please....... -- CrazeeMoi, 20:42:47 01/12/04 Mon [1]

I know I sent you these already Jazbo...just thought the other ladies might like these...

Embe[b][/b]llish T-Shirt
http://www.tanashabitat.com/gear/0309251of1.asp

Mini Purses from Necktie
http://www.sulky.com/resources/free-pro ... hat-binds/

[> Thanks, CM. It's good to have them in one place. :-) n/t -- Jaz, 21:50:45 01/12/04 Mon [1]
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
crafterwannabe

Instructions: Angel Necktie & Link: Necktie Stocking

Postby crafterwannabe » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:06 pm

Date Posted: 10:01:21 07/28/03 Mon
Author: Yvonne
Subject: After the necktie angel

I've bought some great ties at the dollor store and have made some of the necktie angels. My question is this: Has anyone come up with any ideas of what to do with the rest of the tie?

Replies:

[> Re: After the necktie angel -- Kay(PA), 08:15:40 07/30/03 Wed [1]

I found this site with instructions for making a necktie stocking.
Link deleted - no longer valid.

Necktie Angel
http://www.bluebonnetvillage.com/tieangel.htm

[> Re: After the necktie angel -- twinrme/Charlene, 01:24:48 07/29/03 Tue [1]

Necktie angel instructions

Materials: Ring of wire
Doll Hair
Gold Doily T
ie length 16" from the tip of the tie (the wide end)
Large wood bead
1 1/2" diameter Ribbon (similar to the color of the tie) for bow
¼" dowel 5" long (cut at hardware store)
Glue Tools :Glue gun / Scissors / Ruler / Permanent black marker

Method : 1. Cut the tie to a 16" length from the tip of the widest part of the tie up. 2. Place the piece of dowel ½" in from the cut end of the tie, in the middle of the tie. Squeeze hot glue in the hole of the wood bead head. Press the piece of tie-covered dowel into the glue in the hole and hold it in place briefly until secure. 3. Take a small amount of doll hair and try it out on the head to see if it is enough to cover the head to your tastes. When you are satisfied with the look of the hair on the head (add more if necessary), it is time to glue on the hair. Squeeze squiggly lines of glue over the area of the head you are coverong with hair. Press the hair onto the head quickly but carefully so you don’t burn your fingers on the hot glue. 4. Cut a length of metallic ribbon, wrap it around the neck of the doll (lifting the hair so it doesn’t get caught in the ribbon) and tie a bow in the front of the angel. 5. Fold the gold doily in half exactly and lightly glue the edges together so it looks like one piece. Center the doily behind the tie with the flat edge just below the base of the doll head. When you are satisfied with the look, hot glue the doily to the back of the tie. 6. Lay the tie angel flat on your work surface. Draw the face on your angel with the black permanent marker. 7. Turn the tie angel face down on your work surface. Place the wire ring in the middle of the back of the doll head. Holding it in place tightly, turn the doll over to see the positioning of the ring from the front. You want the ring to resemble a halo but also to serve the purpose of hanging the angel somewhere in your home. When you are satisfied with the positioning of the ring, squeeze a generous amount of hot glue on the portion of the ring that will touch the hair of the angel and press it back into the predetermined spot. Hold it in place briefly until secure. Leave your angel lying face down until dry before hanging.

In one of the pictures I used a corn husk doll's body and inserted it into the tie nad then decorated the tie . It's the patriotic tie.

You can adapt these instructions to fit the items you have on hand. I've been getting my ties at GoodWill for $.75. HTH
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:40 pm

Instructions & Pictures: Necktie Angels

Date Posted: 10:12:45 04/18/05 Mon
Author: jean Kirk
Subject: Help-men's ties-memorial craft

Ladies-My father passed away November 02, 2004 and I am helping my mother clear out his clothing. I told her I would like to keep his ties because I want to make a little keepsake for me and my sister and our four daughters but what? Also, is there any other clothing I should keep with crafting in mind. My father had an office job working for the government until he retired; then ran a family based trophy shop; and was very active in the Elk's so there are alot of suits/dress pants/and dress shirts. I welcome any ideas/links/etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Claudia, 12:44:13 04/18/05 Mon [1]

A favorite shirt could be made into a pillow. Button up the front and then cut a pillow top from the front, starting below the sleeve, Then cut a matching back from the actual shirt back. The pocket of the shirt should end up on the right side of the front of shirt.

Also, ties make a wonderful pillow front. These are pieced from various ties, cut from the "Fan" quilt pattern.
You could also use a favorite shirt to make the part of the square above the fan and then cut the back of the pillow from the shirt.

Maybe this will help to get you going. ))) Hugs(((
Claudia

[> Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Jean Kirk, 12:49:51 04/18/05 Mon [1]

Claudia, thanks for the info, I hadn't thought of making a pillow out of one of his shirts. I could use the pocket to stuff a pix in or something.

Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Tamra, 12:54:08 04/18/05 Mon [1]

You can also keep some clothing to make memory bears. Just choose a simple bear pattern and then I put a metal tag tied to a ribbon around the neck of the bear with the dates of birth and death on the back and In Loving Memory on the front. I have made these for all my close friends and family that have lost a loved one and the love them.
Hope this helps.

Tamra

Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Dori, 13:22:26 04/18/05 Mon [1]

When my father passed away, we saved his flannel shirts to make stuffed teddy bears out.

Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Jerry, 16:49:48 04/18/05 Mon [1]

How about making angels from your Dad's ties? I found the instructions for this online.

Jerry

[> Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Jean Kirk, 16:58:59 04/18/05 Mon [1]

thanks for all the ideas, I am not the world's best sewer but maybe if I find a simple bear pattern I can work somethng out. Jerry, I would be interested in the link for the angel made out of ties if you still have it.
Jean

Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Charlene, 17:27:34 04/18/05 Mon [1]

Tie Angel
Two angels can be made from each tie by adjusting the measurements for the larger end of the tie. The smaller angel can be used as a pin, ornament or wall hanger. An angel made from the large end of the tie would make a wall hanger.

Supplies:
14" measured from the narrow end of a tie including the point
6" round purchased doily
1 1/2" wooden knob
2" of lace for collar
small pearl or bead for collar
1/2" flat back pearl or bead for decoration
3" glitter chenille stem for halo
Small amount of doll hair
Flesh tone paint (mine is pale peach but pick your color for the angel you are making)
Paint brush
Black fine line Permanent pen for eyes and nose
Blush and cotton swab
White craft glue
Needle and thread to match tie
3" narrow ribbon for hanger or a pin back

Instructions:
Cut the 14" piece of tie into 2 parts, the point end up 8" for the gown and 6" for the arms. Tie a single knot in the center of the 6" piece to form the folded hands, and set aside.
Fold the cut end down 2 1/2", Place the cut ends of the arm piece under the fold with the knot centered on the front of the pointed piece. Stitch in place.
Gather the doily and stitch or glue to the folded portion of the back of the angel. Stitch or glue the 2" lace collar to the front just below the fold. Glue the smaller pearl or bead to the collar and the larger pearl to the front about 3" from the point. Set aside to dry.
Paint the knob and allow to dry. Using the picture as a guide draw the eyes and nose. Add a small amount of blush to the cheeks with a cotton swab.
Form a circle with the glitter stem and pinch the stem to give the halo a ruffled look.
Glue the fold of the tie under the front of the knob so it fits into the curve of the knob. Glue the hair in place and add the halo. Glue or stitch the narrow ribbon folded into a hanging loop at the top of the doily wings. Glue the wing top and hanger loop to the back of the knob for added security. Add the pin back to the top of the fold in the tie through the doily wings.
Pictures
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... angel2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/ ... eangel.jpg

Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Jerry, 07:48:38 04/19/05 Tue [1]

Charlene,

So glad that you found the instructions for the "Tie Angel" for Jean. It's really a beautiful angel.

I've never seen the red-headed angel before. Where did you find her or did you make her?

They're both beautiful!

Have a Beautiful Day!

Hugs,
Jerry

[> Re: Help-men's ties-memorial craft -- Jean, 09:25:45 04/19/05 Tue [1]

Charlene,
Thank you so very much for the instructions and pix of the tie angels. They are really very beautiful. My dad was very patriotic and I know exactly which tie I will use for the angel. Again, thanks everyone for your help. Jean

Archiver's Note: This is also posted separately since it contains several ideas other than Necktie.
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:31 pm

Link: Necktie Angel

Date Posted: 23:27:45 09/27/05 Tue
Author: Daisy
Subject: tie angel

http://www.bluebonnetvillage.com/tieangel.htm

Note: This is also posted on the Angel Board
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:48 pm

Necktie Purses

Date Posted: 12:21:03 10/19/05 Wed
Author: Wanda
Subject: Necktie Purse ~

Mini Purses from Necktie
http://www.sulky.com/resources/free-pro ... hat-binds/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Adding this post so it includes suggestions for obtaining wide ties. We did not repeat the link for the purse tie (same as above).

Date Posted: 14:59:48 04/02/07 Mon
Author: Crafty Me2
Subject: Make a tiny purse from a man's tie

Details and info for making small purse for young girls ;)Crafty Me2
(deleted link since it is the same as above)

Replies:
[> Re: Make a tiny purse from a man's tie -- Melis, 04:51:57 04/08/07 Sun [1]

This could be just the thing for a couple of pounds and a mobile phone. I'm off to raid the tie rack!!

[> Re: Make a tiny purse from a man's tie -- Gator, 19:19:05 04/02/07 Mon [1]

7 years ago when I was still teaching school, my two female administrators went to a national convention in California, and each picked up one of these "purses" is a trendy ladies' boutique. They paid $20 or $25 for them...the purses were a hit when they brought them back home. My wife has made some, but it is very hard to find the real wide ties anymore....most are to narrow to use.

[> Re: Make a tiny purse from a man's tie -- Carol Klee, 19:26:08 04/02/07 Mon [1]

Gator, Have you tryed loking for the ties at your Salvation Army Stores or church basement sales always have a good selection. CK

[> [> Re: Make a tiny purse from a man's tie -- GATOR, 01:13:42 04/03/07 Tue [1]

Mostly church thrift stores, and at Goodwill stores....but come from a small rural area, and have pretty much depleted the resources. Small charms...or even pierced earrings with the small earring backs have been used by my wife to decorate, or "jazz up" the purses. (Relatively inexpensive at dollar stores, and Wal-Mart. Check your old jewelry boxes, too.) The posts can be clipped off so as not to poke or puncture something in the purse. She attaches them to the front flap of the purse. Adult friends find that a pack of cigarettes and lighter fit nicely in them as well, along with a little money, and they are all set for an evening out. Just some ideas that you might want to use. Thanks for the suggestions Carol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date Posted: 21:58:30 03/03/08 Mon
Author: Sherron
Subject: Sewing - Recycled Tie Bag/Purse

http://www.crafttestdummies.com/2008/01 ... ag-purses/
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:07 am

Other Tie Ideas

[> Re: Bunny made with men's ties?? -- Carla J Robbins, 20:10:18 04/04/06 Tue [1]

My Dad was a tie wearer before he passed away. I have saved boxes full of his ties that I have held onto thinking one day I would make something special for the family using Dad's ties. I have seen angels, now bunnies, purses. Anyone have something special they can think that would be special yet meaningful.
Thanks
Carla

[> Re: Bunny made with men's ties?? -- Shirttails, 21:40:18 04/04/06 Tue [1]

Carla, a friend of mine sewed the neckties together and then cut out a teddy bear. She gave her new granddaughter a teddy bear made with her grandpa's ties.

[> Re: Bunny made with men's ties?? -- Linda Ohio now GA, 12:28:25 04/05/06 Wed [1]

Ties can be opened up, sewn together and made into a memory pillow.

I've seen round table toppers made from ties, as well as skirts. I can see sewing one across a sweatshirt on an angle, draping across one shoulder and part way down the back.

[> Re: Bunny made with men's ties?? -- jan, 21:45:18 04/05/06 Wed [1]

I have seen a beautiful quilt made from them. My DH has a bunch he has more then 365 days a year. And When he get's a snag in one I get it. I am baggie them up to make one. And when I start it I will give it to my granddaughter when she gets married , she is only 8 . I have a king size afgan my grandmother made me it a plastic zip bag. She made it when I was pg with my son which was 31 years ago.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:46 pm

Necktie School Bag

Date Posted: 13:26:21 08/11/06 Fri
Author: lovestodream (ginger)
Subject: Neck tie school bag

Necktie School Bag
http://craftbits.com/project/neck-tie-school-bag/
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:12 pm

Picture: Necktie Quilt

Date Posted: 07:56:21 09/28/06 Thu
Author: shilo
Subject: Make a tie quilt

Use up some old ties for this one.....

http://www.kountrylife.com/content/gal576.htm

[> Re: Make a tie quilt -- jazbo, 08:23:06 09/28/06 Thu [1]

That is sew awesome. I really want to make one, some day. Right now, I am making a long skirt from ties as part of my gypsy costume for a fall party. If there are any left, I may begin a quilt. Thanks, shilo. (((hugs)))

[> Re: Make a tie quilt -- Julie R, 11:47:42 09/28/06 Thu [1]

SO Cool! Thanks for posting!
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:31 am

Necktie Daisies

Date Posted: 21:53:31 03/03/08 Mon
Subject: Necktie Daisies

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.ph ... #msg127117
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:43 pm

Necktie School Bag (Could Be Purse)

Date Posted: 22:50:16 07/09/08 Wed
Author: Amber
Subject: Necktie School bag/Purse

Super cool bag made out of neckties. Very easy instructions to follow.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45985.0
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:41 am

Make a Heart Using Old Neckties

Date Posted: 07:57:11 01/31/09 Sat
Author: KPWog
Subject: Necktie Valentine

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/40220/ ... valentines

Barbara

Note: This post is also on the Valentine Board.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:02 am

Necktie Hat

Date Posted: 11:18:12 01/30/09 Fri
Author: KPWog
Subject: Necktie Hat

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.ph ... opic=17001

Barbara
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:51 am

Tutorial: Tie to Gadget Case

Date Posted: 22:48:04 06/07/09 Sun
Subject: Dad's Tie to Gadget Case Tutorial

Pictures of gadget case:
http://www.craftstylish.com/item/48180/ ... adget-case

Download tutorial here:
https://share.acrobat.com/adc/adc.do?do ... a0ab24273c

Note: This is also archived on the Father's Day Board.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Make Girl's Headband from Man's Tie

Date Posted: 02:58:13 07/19/10 Mon
Subject: Headband from a Man'sTie

http://nv-craftenvy.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... dband.html
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Make a Women's Top From Old Silk Ties

Date Posted: 21:23:43 03/13/11 Sun
Author: Brenda