Ceramic Tile Projects - 4x4's and 2x2's

Archive of all kinds of different Craft Ideas and Projects.

Moderators: Caboobie, crafterwannabe, krafteekaren, Craftsayings Users, Maintainer

Ceramic Tile Projects - 4x4's and 2x2's

Postby MIEL » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:44 pm

Things to do With 4x4 Tiles

Date Posted: 16:09:59 06/20/05 Mon
Author: Helen
Subject: 4x4 tiles

Went to mail box had to go by the dumpster in the apartment complex and there was a whole box of new 4x4 tiles white ones.....so ladies haven't been crafting (been to busy crying) but now I'm on a mission...Help me come up with ideas.Helen

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- Carol, 16:14:28 06/20/05 Mon [1]

If you paint, you could paint on them and add felt feet for a trivit. Super Simple.

You could also paint them and add a hanger on the back for the kitchen tile/trivit.

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- Sondra, 16:44:13 06/20/05 Mon [1]

Helen...I uses the 4 x 4 tiles all the time. I make dry eraseable boards out of them...tic-tac-toe boards..personalised name plaques.
Draw up and print out your design...laminate front side...run thru Xyron machine to apply adhesive on back and then put on the tile.
This a quick and simple project.
Sondra

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- Doreen, 17:23:52 06/20/05 Mon [1]

Hi Helen check this page out...

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art32202.asp

You could even cut out designs and decoupage them onto the tiles.
(((Hugs)))
Doreen

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- crafterwannabe, 17:58:39 06/20/05 Mon [1]

I just put graphics on a couple of 4 x 4" tiles along with some 2 x 2" tiles for magnets. Some time ago I bought full-size (8-1/2 x 11) sheets of clear labels. The graphics print beautifully on them and they go on the tiles so easily. I haven't yet mastered how to finish them. On the ones I did over the weekend, I used a gloss fixative spray. I wasn't real happy with this on the larger tiles. OK on the smaller ones. I had read somewhere that folks were using them for coasters so I was trying to get a really thick finish on them. In the end, I think I'll display on one of those little easel picture holders. I've seen some with little holes drilled in them to hold wire so you could use them for wall hangings. I haven't had nerve to try that yet. Didn't buy that many so I don't want to break what I do have.

I didn't like the decoupage finish because you could see the brush strokes from applying the glue. Genie swears by brushing 2 coats of polycrylic on top once you decoupage a paper graphic onto a tile. I have not yet mastered how to do this quickly and with the right amount on your brush so you don't smear the ink or leave brush marks (don't use foam brush). I sprayed a fixative on the graphic first (paper, not the label) but it seals the color and it does not pop out the color as well as the polycrylic right over the top. Besides I love the ease of using the clear labels but the labels do not like the polycrylic so I guess they are not compatible.

I've also read that others do as Sondra mentioned - laminating the top. Sondra, I never thought of making little board games with them. Thanks for that idea! Does the permanent adhesive side of the Xyron cartridge stick nicely to the gloss surface of the tile or do you have to rough it up first for the adhesive to stick?

[> [> Re: 4x4 tiles -- Sondra, 19:10:41 06/20/05 Mon [1]

Crafterwannabe...
I have had absolutely no problems with it sticking and I do lots of these.
Sondra

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- wilma, 18:03:48 06/20/05 Mon [1]

Helen, check this out. I wouls use the rub on transfers as I don't paint either. I like your aditude. Know we are all in your corner. We will pray this is going to work in your favor. Medical mircles are seen evey day. You will be the next one! Keep crafting. It keeps your mind and hands busy. http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/artic ... 65,00.html

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- Carol, 21:19:19 06/20/05 Mon [1]

I do the 2 x 2 tiles, too. I attach a wooden clip clothespin to the back. The tile rests on the table and the part of the clothespin you squeeze rests on the table. Glue the two together and it becomes a note holder. I just sold 2 dozen of these at a craft fair this weekend. The redhatters loved them, the flower ones had a note clipped to it saying, get well...thinking of you...call Mabel....remember lunch...These can also hold recipe cards. I attached the xerox copy picture with double sided tape.

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- Helen, 22:29:12 06/20/05 Mon [1]

Thanks everyone...and guess what found out that the maintance man was the one who thru these away and he has more boxes yepeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this is a start and guess what else there is a craft show at a church in Oct.......and I will be there.luv you all for prayers

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- Lori, 08:11:46 06/21/05 Tue [1]

Here is a place you can see and get different ideas on how to do the tiles. www.pccrafter.com/community then click on message board. It will take you to the forum. Just click on anything that mentions tiles. They really have alot of great ideas.

[> Re: 4x4 tiles -- Sondra, 17:25:58 06/21/05 Tue [1]

Here is a tic-tac-toe game made with the 4 x 4 tiles.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/WS ... -TOE12.jpg
A simple, easy and fun project to do.
Sondra
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date Posted: 09:28:13 06/25/05 Sat
Author: califncsun
Subject: Attn: Sondra

I saw the tic tac toe you made for the 4X4 tiles. Do you have a playing piece, maybe like the buttons on the picture? I would like to make them and glue magnetic sheets on them if that would work. Thank you,

Replies:
[> Re: Attn: Sondra -- Sondra, 13:22:27 06/25/05 Sat [1]

I didn't put playing pieces with the board...I made it into a dry eraseable board and included a dry eraseable pen.
Hope this helps.
Sondra

[> Re: Attn: Sondra -- califncsun, 13:25:02 06/30/05 Thu [1]

Ok, I didn't think about the dry erase pens. Great. Thank you,
MIEL

Postby crafterwannabe » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:46 pm

Reenie's Tips on Using Graphics on 4x4 Tiles

Date Posted: 20:03:48 10/14/05 Fri
Author: Reenie
Subject: Friends 4x4 tile / picture

Heres a picture of a 4x4 tile I just made. Graphics from
raggedyscrappin.com

Note: Link deleted since Reenie removed the picture from her photobucket album.

Replies:
[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Jasmine, 20:08:37 10/14/05 Fri [1]

Reenie,
Cute tile!! How did you get the holes through the tile to run the wire through? And did you put any special coating on the graphic?

[> [> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- RainyVT, 02:48:56 10/15/05 Sat [1]

Your tile project is just superb! What a wonderful project with endless ideas. I work with seniors and I think I will try this with them after the 1st of the year. Thanks for sharing.

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Reenie, 21:14:49 10/14/05 Fri [1]

Here's the instructions:
You can buy tiles at Lowes or home depot. This size is 4x4 at Lowes , I get these for 14 cents.
I have a cordless black & decker drill , and I use a glass & tile bit ( Both the bit & drill you can get @ Lowes or home depot). With that bit you can drill the holes very easily.
I use my print program & make the graphic 4x4 & print it out on label paper.
Then peel off the back & stick it to the tile. Spray the tile w/ 2 coats of Krylon triple thick spray ( can get that @ Michaels or walmart). Let that dry & then run wire through the holes. To make the wire curly , wrap it around a pencil before you use it & it'll be curly.
For the back you can put felt on it if you want to also.
Reenie ~

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- melinda, 21:22:13 10/14/05 Fri [1]

how cute! are u drilling the holes from the front or back of the tile? i am having a hard time getting the holes started so i did not even try these. but boy are they cute. you did a great job.

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Claudia, 21:27:51 10/14/05 Fri [1]

This is sooo cute - very much like the 2 x 2 magnets that Sondra did. I did my magnets on card stock and decoupaged them to the tile. Then when it was dry did a couple more coats and they turned out wonderful.... the colors were vivid and bright.

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Reenie, 21:34:15 10/14/05 Fri [1]

Yes, I drill into the back, A good tip is to wet the area you'll be drilling, It goes quicker. raggedyscrappin.com has a section of magnet graphics that can be used for magnets or resized for tiles.
This particular graphic is from one of their printable packs.

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Addy, 21:34:55 10/14/05 Fri [1]

Oh, how cute! I've been wanting to make some of those tiles you can use a dry erase marker with for notes but thought I would have to buy graphics to put on them--I need 20 of them. How can I use the graphic on the tiles I want to make. I don't do many crafts and I know these are probably a lot of stupid questions. I could sure use some advice. Thanks

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Janice T., 21:41:37 10/14/05 Fri [1]

Hi Reenie - Another Winner! You did a great job. Thanks for sharing the instructions. Yet another project to add to my list. LOL.
Thanks A Bunch,
Janice

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- crafterwannabe, 21:42:34 10/14/05 Fri [1]

Thanks for sharing with us. I bought some 4x4's but have only done two of them - I have done mainly magnets. I bought a couple of colored tiles - a hunter green and burgundy. Have you ever used the colored tiles - and how did you like the results?

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Sandra Marshall, 22:47:03 10/14/05 Fri [1]

Reenie - love the tile - it is just too cute and the sky would be the limit as to what you could put on each one. Thanks for sharing the photo and directions, Sandra

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Granny2shoes, 00:02:58 10/15/05 Sat [1]

Great job and such a fabulous gift. And you can't go wrong with a raggedy. Thanks for sharing.

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Judy R, 03:51:32 10/15/05 Sat [1]

Do you have ink jet printers? and do you have any trouble with the picture blurring when you spray on the sealer? I have been wanting to decopage some stuff, but I was afraid the ink would run if I painted it with mod podge. What do you use to decopage ink jet graphics? Thanks for any info.
Judy R

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Reenie, 09:41:51 10/15/05 Sat [1]

crafterwannabe: I have used grey tiles in the past & they been fine. The colored tiles are sometimes less inexpensive too & they can make a nice border color for your print.
Judy : I do have an inkjet printer, I have done some decopauging with modpodge & the ink never ran. I use an epson stylus.

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- hen, 10:18:45 10/15/05 Sat [1]

When you hang these up doesn't the weight of the tile straighten out the wire?

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Reenie, 11:38:49 10/15/05 Sat [1]

No, It stays curled, the tile is only 4x4 & is not really that heavy. The wire is on a spool & is sold at Walmart or any craft store.

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- hen, 22:12:43 10/15/05 Sat [1]

Thank you for that info. I will have to try it.

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Crafty Cindy, 22:30:29 10/15/05 Sat [1]

I can't wait to try this one!!!
So cute!

[> Re: Friends 4x4 tile / picture -- Melinda, 09:58:47 10/16/05 Sun [1]

What gauge wire is it? I will try wetting the back of the tile. Thanks so much for this idea. I have seen the smaller ones done as well and the put on gross grain ribbon and hung in a grouping. I believe Linda has them posted on another site. They are so cute.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:56 pm

Tic Tac Toe Discussion - What to Use for Markers

Date Posted: 22:26:59 10/29/05 Sat
Author: melinda
Subject: Tic Tac Toe Tile/M & M's

First I want to thank all of you for the wonderful poems, the beautiful graphics, the hard work, the long hours and the much emailing you have done. Each of you involved in both projects have really gone way behind and out of your way to accomodate each of us in such a loving and kind way. I personally can not say enough for all of your hard work. I will not put in names because I am so afraid I will leave someone out or someone will be involved that I may not know about. BUT THANK YOU!!!!!

The tic tac toe tiles are great. My question to everyone is what are you using for the peices to play? The colored marbles I know are one thing that can be used. But I thought it would be great to share what we all use so everyone gets ideas. And if you are selling these, what price? How are you packageing them?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped in anyway make these 2 craft ideas a dream come true for the rest of us.
Melinda

Note: This post was edited to post with tile thread.

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Tile/M & M's -- ~BETTY~ B, 23:44:52 10/29/05 Sat [1]

For my tic tac toe boards I am using some package topper ornaments I found at Big Lots..The are shaped like snowmen, reindeer, and santa claus..are made of plastic and have a flat back so that they can be tied to packages...they came 4 on a card for 99 cents.
~BETTY~ B

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Tile/M & M's -- Barbara (a.k.a. thetupperlady), 08:19:58 10/30/05 Sun [1]

On the TTT boards I am using snowflake beads for the pieces.....I have a bunch that I need to use up.

Thought about selling them for $3.00 each or 2 for $5.00. I found my tiles at Lowe's for .14 each.
What does everyone think?
Barbara

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Tile/M & M's -- Judy R, 11:32:19 10/30/05 Sun [1]

As for the TTT tiles, I am using tiny erasers from Oriental Trading. Haven't decided on a selling price yet, probably $3. I'll also check out the package toppers at Big Lots. Thanks again to all who have helped so much in this project. Hugs, Judy R
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:58 pm

Ideas for Using Ceramic Tiles

Date Posted: 19:57:22 11/11/05 Fri
Author: Jessica
Subject: ISO: projects using ceramic tiles

I just got 2 huge boxes of ceramic tiles, different sizes.
Any ideas what to do with them??
Painting--what paints to use? Rubberstamps--can this be done??
Any way to make them into "boxes" ??

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies:
[> Re: ISO: projects using ceramic tiles -- Sondra, 20:24:44 11/11/05 Fri [1]

Jessica....if you have the 4x4 or 6x6 you can make tic-tac-toe boards out of them. You can also make hanging tiles by putting a graphic on the front...drill a couple of holes on the top and run a wire thru it to hang...or you can just sit them on an easel. Are the tiles smooth ? What color are they ?
If you have any of the 2x2 tiles you can make magnets or note holders with them.
If you need any more information please let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help.
Sondra

[> Re: ISO: projects using ceramic tiles -- Connie Kru, 20:33:21 11/11/05 Fri [1]

First off, are they wall or floor tiles. Wall tiles can have holes drilled in them-you can then make tiles to hang on the wall, floor tiles are harder and you can not drill them.
Are they a little chalky on the back?(this is the wall tiles)

I use both. I find a graphic picture that I like. size it with a saying in my card program and print. I then spray it with a Workable Fixative (so ink will not run). Then I put a layer of Mod Podge on and let it dry. Then I trim to fit the tile and put it on the tile with mod podge. I like using a brayer, this helps get the air bubbles out.
Hope this helps
I know others who use full sheet sticker paper-this is a lot faster, but much more expensive way.
If you can drill a hole you can add a little fancy wire on the top. You can also put a cloths pin on the back and made a card or recipe holder. You can also stand them in a display stand. Here is one that I did with my Granddaughers picture. She was a Octopus for Halloween.
Good luck
Connie

[> Re: ISO: projects using ceramic tiles -- Judy R, 03:36:02 11/12/05 Sat [1]

ConnieKru, what kind of fixative do you use, and where do you get it? This has been one of my concerns, keeping the ink from running when using ink jet copies. Thanks for any info, Judy R

[> Re: ISO: projects using ceramic tiles -- Sondra, 08:28:36 11/12/05 Sat [1]

Judy...I make tiles all the time.and this is how I do mine. I print them out on full sheet label paper. I get the label paper 100 sheets for $30.00 at the office supply store and you can print out 4 4x4 tiles on each sheet making them 7 cents a print. I then laminate the picture ( front only ) ..this protects the ink from running and from fading when in sunlight. If you don't have an laminator you can also use clear contact paper and now Walmart carries a roll of laminate that you don't need a machine to use. Just cut to size and put on the piece. I do the same for the 2" tiles...you can print out 20 per sheet of the 2" size making them less than 2 cents a print.
I do lots of these so that's why I buy in the label sheets in the larger quanity...if you are not going to be doing lots you won't need the 100 pack sheets and I don't have the cost break down on the smaller packages. I am sure it will run high per print.
All this is quick and easy and you can get lots of them done in no time at all.
Hope the above info has been helpful.
Sondra

[> Re: ISO: projects using ceramic tiles -- Connie Krueger, 09:54:44 11/12/05 Sat [1]

Judy,
I use Krylon Workable fixative spray.
Michaels carry it . It is sprayed on after you print and it dries almost instantly. Then I generally use mod podge for my final finishing. Mod Podge comes in matt or a glossy.
I find when I use the sticker paper and try and get 4 to a sheet I have smaller images and more white around the outside (because my printer does not print to the edge of the paper, but by using mod podge, I don't worry if I only get 2 per paper, as it is so inexpensive who cares. This way if I want a blue frame right out to the edge of the tile I can do that.
It does take more time to put the mod podge on, but i have lots of that. fee free to e-mail me if you have any more questions
Connie
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:31 am

Date Posted: 18:45:37 10/31/05 Mon
Author: Claudia
Subject: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture

I got my first Tic Tac Toe games packaged today, and am quite pleased with them. The picture is not very good - I was in a hurry. The game pieces are in the back. I also cut felt to fit the back of the tile so that they would not scratch someone's table.

I put the game pieces in a very small bag and then put the tile in the "trick or treat" bags that come about 20 or 24 to a bag - and put the bag of game pieces in the back. I tried the front but it took away from the graphic. I have used half marbles so far for the game pieces. I was able to find the bags with mixed colors for 96 cents and one bag makes several.

I folded the top of the bag twice before I stapled the topper to it because the tile and marbles are heavy and I was afraid the plastic might tear.

I will probably display them in a basket rather than hanging them because of the weight.
Hugs,
Claudia

Picture
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/Cl ... eTiles.jpg

Replies:
[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Nancy in MO, 19:30:47 10/31/05 Mon [1]

I love your picture ! Did you glue the graphic to the tile ?

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- BBCrafts, 19:44:00 10/31/05 Mon [1]

I love your games. Love the topper as I had been trying to figure out what would be a topper that you could use with different games. Great job!!

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Sondra, 19:50:21 10/31/05 Mon [1]

Hey Claudia..they look pretty good !! I'm working on more !! I have a craft show this coming Saturday and Sunday...hopefully I'll have lots ready by then.
I don't hang mine either..I found a small antique dish drainer that they fit in perfectly..they stand up like the plates would normally fit...works great...it holds several.
I'm working on things between Trick or Treaters...we have had LOTS of the little ones so far ( lotta' big one too !)
Better get back to work !!
Sondra

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Claudia, 20:03:36 10/31/05 Mon [1]

Thanks, Sondra, I appreciate the positive comments. You know you are the one who should have all the credit - you did the work and I just put it together. A small dish drainer is a great idea, I will have to look for one.

I am doing a one-day Festival next Saturday, but I will have to do more for that. I am only going to do a card table and probably some type of shelf...mostly the printed things and MM's. Everything else is going to the Mall.

Nancy, I think I am the only one who decoupages the graphic on the tile, but it works for me! I print the graphics out on card stock and I think most people print them on label paper, but I didn't have any at the time I started, so just did what I had supplies to work with. I live in small town and don't always have access to things I need. At first I laminated them, but I had to do that by hand and it took me a long time and I lost some to wrinkles, so I found the decoupage did well for me. I am sure one way is as good as another - just what each one is comfortable with.
Hugs,
Claudia

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Addy, 20:24:47 10/31/05 Mon [1]

Sondra,
How do you do your graphics on the Tic Tac Toe tiles? I read how Claudia does her. Is there another way?
By the way Claudia, yours look great. I can tell you're going to do well at the craft show. Good Luck
Addy

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Barboo, 20:33:54 10/31/05 Mon [1]

What Size tiles are you using. THey look smaller than a 6 x 6

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Lori Jean, 21:22:23 10/31/05 Mon [1]

Claudia,
They are just adorable! Did you use mod podge? How many coats did you use?
Hugs,
Lori Jean :^)

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Claudia, 21:31:14 10/31/05 Mon [1]

Barboo, the tiles are 4x4 and that seems to be a good size for the game. The half marbles fit great on this size tile.

Lori Jean, I use Mod Podge and generally put about three coats. It dries really fast. I do about 6 at a time and by the time I get the first coat on six, the first is dry and I just start again, with a second coat, then go a third time. They seem to be quite firm after three coats and it doesn't take long to do them and you don't have to worry about the glue oozing out from under the graphic - and Mod Podge cleans up with water if you have a boo boo.
I let them air dry overnight before I put them in a plastic bag to be sure there is no dampness.

A jar of Mod Podge lasts a long, long time. I have been using on this one for a couple YEARS! And still have quite a bit. You can also mix white glue about 50/50 with water and it works about the same, but doesn't have quite as much glaze.
Hugs,
Claudia

[> [> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- mj, 19:48:44 11/02/05 Wed [1]

I was wondering if you have made a Tic Tac Board using a photo of a baby, child, or pet? just an idea. Would love to learn how. MJ

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Judy R, 21:47:24 10/31/05 Mon [1]

If you are using mod podge with ink jet graphics, doesn't the color run? or do you laminate first? by the way, they are really cute. I am going to try to get some done for a show I have the 10th, and another one the 18th. Hugs, Judy R

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Granny2shoes, 00:26:51 11/01/05 Tue [1]

Boy does this bring back memories. I made these years ago using a paper mache box and the game pieces fit inside. I still kept them in a plastic bag just to keep them together.

I love these. They are fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Kathy P, 00:44:10 11/01/05 Tue [1]

What kind of paper do you use to print them out on?

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Wanda, 06:59:53 11/01/05 Tue [1]

Wonderful job ! I'm hoping to give these a try this weekend ; just need to make a trip to the buildiing supplies store for some tiles . Are you sharing your Topper ? Is so , may I get a copy ? Also , how much would you sell these for ?? Full of questions , but you all really make me want to expand my Horizons sooo much ; Thank you for so much Inspiration !!
Hugs,
Wanda ( in Nova Scotia )

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Claudia, 08:23:57 11/01/05 Tue [1]

Sondra gets ALL the credit for these. She made the topper and sent me the snow and Christmas graphics. The other graphics I got on the Images site from Kraftee's Kuties.

Judy, I have a Lexmark printer and always us new ink, not the refillable kind, and I always let the ink dry well before I decoupage. But it does not smear on the card stock (110#). I dampen my bush before I start also and the first coat is not so heavy.

Kathy, I generally get card stock (110#) at Staples or Office Depot, but the last I had to get at Walmart, but it works fine also. The package just doesn't have as many sheets.

The price - I asked on here and did not get much response, and most of the ladies said $3.00, but I do not think that is enough. Don't forget to cover the back - I use felt cut to fit, but I suppose you could use contact paper or something. You just want the receiver to be able to lay it on a table and not scratch it. I think $5.00 is a fair price when they are well done, are bagged and have the topper.

Have fun, ladies - I enjoy making these!
Hugs,
Claudia

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- LJ, 09:20:04 11/01/05 Tue [1]

Claudia,
I was thinking $5.00 would be a good price also.
Did you use Mod Podge on your tiles? If so, how many coats?
Hugs,
Lori Jean

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Claudia, 10:29:10 11/01/05 Tue [1]

LJ,
Yes, I used Mod Podge, but let the ink dry really well, and I dampen my brush before I start. Generally, three coats covers it very well.

Sondra does hers on label paper, peels off the back and sticks it on the tile, then laminates it, but I do not have a laminator and did not have real good success working with the laminate by hand...lost some due to wrinkles! LOL

You might want to read all the comments above for more information as to how some of the others do theirs. I think the method you should use is what is comfortable for you. We each work differently.
Hugs,
Claudia

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- crafterwannabe, 11:26:50 11/01/05 Tue [1]

They're so cute, Claudia! (...and Sondra...) Thanks for showing us.

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Jan in Phoenix, 11:34:59 11/01/05 Tue [1]

They are really cute. I'm going to charge $3.00 for them.
After I did a few of the ones I had emailed me, I decided to use my card program (American Greetings) and make some using the graphics on it. I used a Christmas theme and did a little baby Jesus with animals around and a cat in a red sock, and a bunch of others. Once you draw the Tic-Tack, you can put different graphics behind it and save under a different name each time. I have had so much fun with this! I picture grandma setting it on the coffee table for the grandkids to play. It would be a great church gift for the kids.
Thanks so much!

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Doreen, 09:07:24 11/02/05 Wed [1]

Well done Claudia and thank you so much for sharing your picture. Good luck with your Festival this Saturday. Great work Sondra - will be emailing you shortly !
(HUGS)
Doreen

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- LJ, 09:37:20 11/02/05 Wed [1]

Thank you sooo much, Claudia! One more question; are the tiles very expensive?
Hugs,
Lori Jean :^)

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Mary - KS, 10:35:16 11/02/05 Wed [1]

Are there rules on how to play these games? These are so cute.
Thanks.

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Claudia, 13:55:14 11/02/05 Wed [1]

The object of Tic Tac Toe is to get three in a row. You play on a three by three game board. The first player is known as X and the second is O. Players alternate placing Xs and Os on the game board until either opponent has three in a row or all nine squares are filled. X always goes first, and in the event that no one has three in a row, the stalemate is called a cat game.

Guess I never thought about anyone not knowing how to play this game, but the rules are simple and could very easily be added to the game package.

Several minds are much better than just one.
Hugs,
Claudia

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Doreen, 02:32:53 11/03/05 Thu [1]

Here are some poems written a while ago in case someone might want to use them along with the topper or inside the bag... maybe someone will make a new topper to include a poem if you want to add the instructions.

Here's the link to the poems Doreen refers to:
viewtopic.php?t=10584

[> Re: Tic Tac Toe Games - picture -- Claudia, 09:11:05 11/03/05 Thu [1]

Thanks, Doreen, your poem is great! The more information we have the more creative we can be.
Hugs,
Claudia
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:33 am

Q&A - Tiles

Date Posted: 06:55:09 11/22/05 Tue
Author: firsttimecrafter
Subject: ??? about tiles

I don't have the labels, so could I use card stock for the tiles, and when I print them out they have four to a page.. do you laminate the whole page on the front, and then apply the adhesive to the back and then cut them out? My xyron machine is coming tomorrow, I'm so excited..thanks for any info anyone can give me....hugs...pat

Replies:
Re: ??? about tiles -- Sondra, 08:09:22 11/22/05 Tue [1]

I cut mine in half...leaving two tiles on the top and two tiles on the bottom part of the page that way you aren't wasting lamination on the center part between the four tiles. Put the two halves back to back ....run them thru the laminator...trim around and pull them apart and then run them thru the adhesive...do the final cut apart and put on the tile.
Have fun with your new toy ( Xyron Machine )
Hope this helps...if you have any morewuestions please let me know.
Sondra

Re: ??? about tiles -- firsttimecrafter, 12:36:41 11/22/05 Tue [1]

thank you very much Sondra...I'm sure I will have more questions in the future...as I am just learning here....
pat

Re: ??? about tiles -- hen, 20:04:29 11/22/05 Tue [1]

I have my labels made and am ready to put them on the tiles what holds them permanently? I know they will stick but does it last or do you put decopadge over it?
Hen
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:36 am

How to Make Images on Tiles & More

Date Posted: 22:47:02 05/27/05 Fri
Author: evitalouise
Subject: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles

I received a tile trivet as a gift and it made me think. My son-in-law is a tile man.....does ceramic tile for a living. He always has lots of odd tiles left over from jobs and they would be perfect for this type of trivet. I know he would be willing to share some of his odd tiles with me. My question is how do you transfer pictures to them. Do you use decals? If so do you have to seal them in some manner to make the tile water proof? I know the one I have has cork on the back, but I need to know how to put an image on the front..........please help me. I would be so greatful.
Hugs
Connie

Replies:

[> Re: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles -- ~BETTY~ b, 01:02:47 05/28/05 Sat [1]

Try using some modge podge and decoupage a picture on to them.
~BETTY~ B

[> Re: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles -- wilma, 08:54:11 05/28/05 Sat [1]

go to hgtv.com then go to Carol Duval show. Episode # 1361, in the shoe box she had a recipe holder made from stamps. real cute. I would love to send you the link but not sure how.

[> [> Re: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles -- Grandma Bonnie, 15:41:35 05/28/05 Sat [1]

Evita - go to http://www.beldecal.com/custom.cfm
They have decals you can print on your inkjeyt printer - you would put 3-4 light coats of clear acrylic spray paint over it and then after soaking it in warm water for a couple of minutes, you place it on the tile (remember the decals you put on the model cars/planes for your son? - it's the same thing) It wou want to use them as coasters, you would need to put a coat of Envirotex over it. It is very thick and you would need to elevate it with something so it doesn't adhere to the table. There are a couple of tips with the Envirotex - It leaves a resin like finish on the tile (similar to what is used on wooden bar tops) It has to be mixed together and sometimes bubbles rise to the top - - you can get rid of the bubbles with a heat gun while it is still fresh - and it is self leveling so you need to have it level - spilling over the top is NOT a bad thing. Also to keep dust off the tile while it is drying ( the process takes overnight usually, but I give it two days to have a quality product...) put a box over it upside down so it will be protected... Be very careful and do NOT see it it is dry with your finger tip - if it is almost dry, you will have fingerprints on your project - this sounds like a lot, but it is a beautiful tile when you are finished...

[> Re: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles -- crafterwannabe, 20:51:11 05/28/05 Sat [1]

Hi Connie – I have seen beautiful tiles finished by the ladies on the pcCrafter board and they have done them many different ways, including using decals as Grandma Bonnie mentioned. Most that I’ve seen have been the 2x2" tile magnets and the 4-1/4 x4-1/4" tiles that could be used for coasters, wall hangings or displayed on one of those easel-type plate holders. Unfortunately their board’s search engine is the pits so of course I could not find any of the many posts where they told "how to". Before I tried any, I copied some comments in a Word document for myself as I came across them but not full posts. In addition I have instructions from Genie on how she does her tile magnets. If you can make her method work, I can tell you that the end result is beautiful. If you’re interested, I can post what I have but you would have to bear in mind that everything I have is for the tiles/uses mentioned above. I don’t remember a discussion about using them for a trivet to hold hot things so I don’t know how they would hold up using any of the methods I have. This picture is not real good but this is a tile magnet I made for the angel swap. On this one I printed the graphic on clear labels (you can buy a box of 8-1/2 x 11" sheets). I LOVED using the labels but I will tell you that they are quite pricey PLUS the labels did not like the polycrylic sealer I used on top. I ended up re-doing them (several times trying different methods – lol!) using the labels but putting 3 or 4 coats of a gloss spray to seal them. I have some of the larger tiles but have not yet done anything with them. Let me know if you’re interested in seeing the notes I have re applying graphics on tile and finishing them - they may seem a little disjointed since I copied just bits & pieces. Meanwhile if I come across any detailed instructions on pcCrafter, I’ll let you know (and also where to see some pictures).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/ ... 0_0272.jpg

[> [> Re: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles -- crafterwannabe, 20:52:59 05/28/05 Sat [1]

Oops - I didn't even resize the picture and it came out so small so you can't see what you need to. Most times it comes out too large. Sorry! Carolyn

[> Re: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles -- evitalouise, 22:25:31 05/28/05 Sat [1]

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I think I will give several a try until I find the ones I like best before deciding to use them as gifts. Carolyn please send me what you have and I will see if I can piece it together.
Thanks again to each one who replied, I really appreciate your time.
Hugs
Connie

[> Re: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles -- Elizabeth, 22:57:15 05/28/05 Sat [1]

I am looking for the smaller tiles, if you, or anyone knows of a source please let me know. I have even tried looking on Ebay and can't find plain white either 2x2 or 3x3.
Thanks

[> [> Re: HELP... how to make image on ceramic tiles -- Carol, 23:09:09 05/28/05 Sat [1]

I found 2 inch tiles at Menards. You buy them by the sheet with about 25 squares or so. I attach a sticker picture and also add a clip clothespin to the back. The tile will stand and the clothespin stands on the "finger" clips. The pinched end is used to hold a recipe or note. These make up read cute.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:38 am

How to Put Images on Ceramic Tiles

Date Posted: 14:54:45 11/16/05 Wed
Author: Hen
Subject: tiles

I have been looking for the instructions for putting the graphic on tiles but I can't find it. I thought I saved it but can not locate it. I can't remember what kind of paper to use to the graphic on to put on the tile.
Can you help?
Hen

Replies:
[> Re: tiles -- Sondra, 18:27:43 11/16/05 Wed [1]

Hen..I do a lot of tiles and this is how I do mine.
Hopes this helps...

INSTRUCTIONS ON MAKING THE 4 X 4 TILES

If I'm going to hang the tile I drill two holes at the top...put the graphic on and then run wire thru in order to hand. I put cork on the back to protect the wall. Felt will work also.

If you don't want to hang the tile you can stand them on a easel.

1st way to make the tile:
I print my 4x4's out on full sheet label paper. I then run them thru the Xyron machine and laminate the top only. Apply it on the 4x4 tile.

2nd way to make the tile:
Print out on regular paper...run thru Xyron machine laminating the front only and then run back thur the Xyron machine putting the adhesive on the back. Apply on tile

To Laminate front Only Using a Laminating Machine:
I do this by printing out two sheets..place them back to back( front sides facing out) ... run thru Xyron ...cut around outside edges and pull apart the two sheets. Only the front will be laminated.

3rd way to make the tile:
Print on label paper ....apply to tile and cover with clear contact paper. Walmart has the laminate paper by the roll that you don't need a machine to apply.

I'm sure there are other ways to do them but this is the way I do mine.
Sondra

[> Re: tiles -- hen, 20:17:52 11/16/05 Wed [1]

Thank you Sandra. I printed it off this time. You don't put Modge Podge on them? Must have been something else I was looking at that you use modge podge on.
Hen
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:39 am

Making Tile Magnets

Date Posted: 21:23:36 10/28/05 Fri
Author: Deanna
Subject: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets?

Hi everyone, Hope all is well with each of you. I haven't had a lot of extra time lately to be on my computer but try and check the voy as often as I can. I was searching for new ideas and saw the ceramic tiles made into coasters and magnets. They are so Cute!! I'm thinking of trying to do some of these, maybe with pictures of the changing seasons in my area and maybe some with clip art. I was wondering if anyone has done these and if they hold up to moisture....mainly if they are used for coasters. I would hate to give them as gifts and have the pictures come loose.Any special tips for making them last when they are used as coasters???
Also while I'm here, I want to say that I've put together about a zillion M&M baggies with the toppers and poems from Sondra and Sue..They are all so nice...Thank you for all the work that you two have done.
Take Care,
Deanna

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- Sondra, 09:30:35 10/29/05 Sat [1]

Deanna...I have made a lot of the 2" tile magnets...absolutely no problems with them. I haven't tried them yet as coasters but have had requests to do so.
I also have made the tis-tac-toe tiles and the tiles you can either hang or put on an easel.
The Tic-Tac-Toe tiles sold really good at my last craft show. I have a lot of the tiles ready for craft show I am doing next weekend.
Sondra

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- Lisa, 11:06:37 10/29/05 Sat [1]

What kind of adhesive to you use to put the graphic on the tile? Do you laminate the picture first? And what kind of magnet do you use? Small dot ones or a length of magnetic tape? Full of questions, aren't I ? LOL! Thanks for any help. Hugs, Lisa

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- Sondra, 14:38:09 10/29/05 Sat [1]

Lisa..I use the 2" tiles that you get at the local home improvement center. They can be done several ways but the way I do them is to print them out on full sheet label paper..laminate the front only ...cut them part... peel off the backing and apply to the tile. I get the 3/4 inch magnets from out local ceramic supply dealer.
I've done 100's this way without any problems.
If you have any questions please let me know. I'll do what I can to help you.
Sondra

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- Lisa, 15:03:01 10/29/05 Sat [1]

Thanks, Sondra. You've been a big help. Hugs, Lisa

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- Deanna, 15:37:57 10/29/05 Sat [1]

Thanks for the response....I'm going to try some of these this week. I was thinking that if I use some for coasters, I could spray them with a clear sealant so they will be moisture resistant. I'll give it a try and then use them to find out how the hold up to moisture. Thanks
Deanna

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- shirttails, 20:16:37 10/29/05 Sat [1]

Hi...I'm fortunate enough to have a tile place close by and they give me free....get it....free tiles. Yesterday the guy said, can you use this? It was huge pieces of tile about 10 x 18 and 1/2 inch thick. I laughed and said not for my projects, but thank you. His next response was he would make me 4 x 4 cuts very easily. Still refused because they are toooo heavy. Anyway, next Wednesday he will have 4 x 4s from a job and bring them to the office so I can pick them up. He told me to go to Home Depot and get a drill bit for ceramic tile and they will work out real well. He said the bit was probably $3 or more.

Now, what do I use? I use a xerox paper print, add double sided adhesive tape to the back and then attach them to the
2x2 tiles. I attach the tiles to a clip clothespin . I advertise them as note holders. The clip clothespin stands on the widest end with the clip up. The tile rests on the table and is attached to the clothespin....I use tacky glue overnight and they stay attached. I put pieces of paper in the clip....Get Well, Don't Forget, Mom, I'm over at.., Happy birthday.

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- Kathy, 22:46:36 10/29/05 Sat [1]

How do you laminate just the front of the paper with a laminator?

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- Sondra, 00:32:21 10/30/05 Sun [1]

Kathy..I hope I can explain how to laminate the front only.
This is real easy to do...I do it all the time. First I'll print out two sheets of what I want only laminated on the front. I place these two sheets back to back ...with the printed side facing out. Run this thru the laminator..now, cut around all four sides and gently pull the prints apart...there ya go...lamination on the front only !
If you have anymore questions let me know !
Sondra

[> Re: Has anyone made tile coasters or magnets? -- Kathy P, 00:40:33 10/30/05 Sun [1]

Sondra I think I understand what you are saying, I will give it a try. Thanks
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:33 am

2 x 2" Tile Magnets

Date Posted: 19:23:26 11/24/05 Thu
Author: MaryP
Subject: need help with tile magnets

I want to try making the 2x2 tile magnets. I've been in the archives reading the directions there, but here are a few questions... Can I print out the graphics and run it through my zyron machine that will laminate one side and make a sticker out of the other and then put that on the tile? I don't want to put a lot of time into these, but I do want them to look good when finished. I don't mind doing modge podge if necessary, but I don't think I should modge podge over the lamination. What do suggest is the best way? Thank so much for your suggestions.

Replies:

Re: need help with tile magnets -- MaryP, 19:51:53 11/24/05 Thu [1]

One more thing I forgot to ask: At Home Depot they have the 2x2 tiles connected with some gummy stuff, can that be cut off easily?

Re: need help with tile magnets -- Sondra, 20:04:46 11/24/05 Thu [1]

You can do them exactly as you described. They work just great that way. You can also print them out on full sheet label paper....print two sheets..place them back to back with the graphic sides facing out..then run thru the Xyron machine to laminate the front only..trim around all four sides and gently pull them apart...peel off the backing ..place on tile..glue the magnet on the back and they are ready. I do hundreds of the 2x2 magnets and have done them both ways.

Yes the gummy stuff that connects the tiles comes off pretty easy. I just use scissors to cut them apart.
If you have anymore questions let us know !! Good luck with the magnets !
Sondra

Re: need help with tile magnets -- BBCrafts, 20:06:26 11/24/05 Thu [1]

For the 2x2 magnets I just ran them back to back thru the xyron laminator and then thru the xyron adhesive. Laid them on the tile and ran a roller over them to make them adhere tightly. They were quick and fun and turned out very nice looking. My tiles were hooked together with that gummy stuff but just cut them apart with some kitchen shears and then used my xacto knife to cut them completely off the tile. Worked very well doing it this way. Hope this helps.

Re: need help with tile magnets -- MaryP, 22:30:55 11/24/05 Thu [1]

Thanks so much, I'm going to do some after this crazy weekend is over. What magnets are best?

Re: need help with tile magnets -- Sondra, 22:33:43 11/24/05 Thu [1]

I put the 3/4 inch round magnets on mine. I get them at our local ceramic supply store for 15 cents each. I glue them on with E-6000 glue.
Sondra
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:35 am

Magnet Backing - 2 x 2" Tiles

Date Posted: 10:20:01 12/31/05 Sat
Author: firsttimecrafter
Subject: ?? about tile magnets

I am gonna make some magnets out of the 2x2 tiles and I was wondering if you put anything on the back ..besides the magnet..and what size magnet do you use? Thanks for any and all help...Happy New years.....Pat

[> Re: ?? about tile magnets -- Sondra, 10:33:02 12/31/05 Sat [1]

Pat..I make 100's of these and I don't put anything but the magnet on the back. I use the 3/4" round magnet that I get from a local ceramic supply store.
Happy New Year to You and Your Family !!
Sondra

[> Re: ?? about tile magnets -- crafterwannabe, 10:47:04 12/31/05 Sat [1]

I buy the business card size magnets at Wal-Mart. They're thicker than the thin magnet sheets which is good for the tiles. Cut magnet card in half and it's just the right size to cover the back. Even though they have a peel-off back, I still add a little E6000 glue to be sure it doesn't come off. They are fun to make and I know you'll enjoy doing them.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:38 pm

Tic Tac Toe Blank Template

Date Posted: 13:35:19 01/04/06 Wed
Author: Laura
Subject: A blank tic tac toe template?

I'm not sure if anyone has this but I want to try making a few for Easter (if I start now I might get them done in time).
Thanks,
Laura

Replies:
[> Re: A blank tic tac toe template? -- ssdmom, 14:11:46 01/04/06 Wed [1]

nothing fancy---just 9 squares...you'll have to add your own graphics on top when you create the finished project.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/ ... tactoe.jpg
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:46 pm

Link: Ceramic Tiles + Drilling Advice

Date Posted: 09:13:20 01/24/06 Tue
Subject: Another Tile Project

This site has ceramic tiles. Enjoy.

http://teapotdesigns.com/giftshop.htm

Replies:
[> Re: Another Tile Project -- Sondra, 10:28:43 01/24/06 Tue [1]

I've been doing these for some time now and they have been very very good sellers at craft fairs and at the store I have my items in.
I pick up the easels at the Dollar Tree. Some I drill holes in the top and run a wire thru for hanging.
If you would like to see some of them they are on the Crafty Images site on page Sondra's Samplers..look under tiles.
If you have any questions let me know.
Sondra

[> Re: Another Tile Project -- melinda, 19:41:15 01/24/06 Tue [1]

I know I have asked before, I have tried drilling from behind but just can't get the thing to get going. Any suggestions. Do you put the pictures on first and the drill? And are you using the glass/tile bit that you can get at HD? Thanks.

[> Re: Another Tile Project -- Sondra, 00:43:55 01/25/06 Wed [1]

Hi Melinda.... We use a carbon bit to drill holes in the tiles. We drill from the back and keep water on the area where we are drilling. We drill the holes in the tile and then put on the picture.Hope this info helps you...if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask....click on my name in BLUE above.
Sondra
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More on Drilling Tiles

Date Posted: 15:52:52 03/14/06 Tue
Author: yrdsaleldy
Subject: tile drilling?

what size and type of drill bit do i use to drill the tiles??? thanks
toni

Replies:
[> Re: tile drilling? -- Judy from GA, 17:47:47 03/14/06 Tue [1]

I don't know what everyone else is using, but my husband drilled my first tiles this week. He used 1/4" masonary bit to drill them and we had no cracks on any of the tiles we did. He drilled one from the back, but it made the finish on the front flake off around the hole. The rest he drilled from the front and no problem. He does have a drill press that he used and made a jig to hold the tiles still, so that might make a difference. I don't know a lot about power tools. Hope this is of some help to you.
Judy
Last edited by crafterwannabe on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:05 am

Instructions: Tile Projects

Date Posted: 16:34:26 02/25/06 Sat
Author: Lisa in ns
Subject: Can someone explain how to do the tiles

I was just looking at the beautiful tiles posted on here.Would someone tell me how they are made
Thanks
Lisa in NS

Replies:
[> Re: Can someone explain how to do the tiles -- Claudia, 18:42:11 02/25/06 Sat [1]

Okay ladies, I am no expert, but I will share what I know.

The ones that I posted pictures of - I printed on Sticker Project paper - which has a sticky pull off sheet on the bottom. I then laminated the top. I used the laminate that comes on a roll, so it has to be cut and applied. Then I cut out the squares, pulled the paper off the back and attached it to the top of the 4 x 4 tile. I then cut a square of felt for the back, but will use cork on the next ones.

I did copy and paste the images into my Print Shop Program and sized them to make them fit the tiles before I printed them out. I am not sure how you can do it without a Print program, but I am sure some of the ladies know this.

I am somewhat computer challenged, so if I can do it, anyone can do it!!!!! I generally try to follow the general directions on projects, then work with the results until I get it where I am comfortable with what I am doing - and take off with it!
Hugs,
Claudia

[> Re: Can someone explain how to do the tiles -- Lisa in ns, 21:52:52 02/25/06 Sat [1]

Thanks Claudia!
You did a fantastic job! I may just try some!
Hugs
Lisa in NS

[> Re: Can someone explain how to do the tiles -- Sondra, 23:58:25 02/25/06 Sat [1]

Hopes this helps...

INSTRUCTIONS ON MAKING THE 4 X 4 TILES and TIC-TAC-TOE'S

If I'm going to hang the tile I drill two holes at the top...put the graphic on and then run wire thru in order to hang. I put cork on the back to protect the wall. Felt will work also. You will probably not want to hang the tic-tac-toe boards...be sure to put felt or cork on back to protect tabletops from the tile.

If you don't want to hang the tile you can stand them on a easel.

1st way to make the tile:
I print my 4x4's out on full sheet label paper. I then run them thru the Xyron machine and laminate the top only. Apply it on the 4x4 tile.

2nd way to make the tile:
Print out on regular paper...run thru Xyron machine laminating the front only and then run back thur the Xyron machine putting the adhesive on the back. Apply on tile

To Laminate front Only Using the Xyron Machine:
I do this by printing out two sheets..place them back to back( front sides facing out) ... run thru Xyron ...cut around outside edges and pull apart the two sheets. Only the front will be laminated.

3rd way to make the tile:
Print on label paper ....apply to tile and cover with clear contact paper. Walmart has the laminate paper by the roll that you don't need a machine to apply.

Playing Pieces for the Tic-Tac-Toe Boards
You can use a dry eraseable pen, large buttons, or you can get the decorative marbles that have been cut in half at... Walmart, Dollar Tree, Hobby Lobby, Michaels...etc...craft supply stores. These come in a variety of colors ..you will need two different colors with 5 pieces each.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'll do whatever I can to help.
Sondra

[> Re: Can someone explain how to do the tiles -- Ruby,Vt, 11:54:38 02/26/06 Sun [1]

Sondra,What zyron do you use for this ??.Thanks

[> Re: Can someone explain how to do the tiles -- Sondra, 12:36:03 02/26/06 Sun [1]

Ruby....I have both the 900 and 510 Xyron machines. Actually have two of each machine. In one I have the laminate and I keep the adhesive in the other...this way I don't have to switch cartridges... they are always ready to go. I use them almost daily....to laminate the tic-tac-toe boards, tiles, magnets plus lots of other projects.
I bought both of mine from Michael's when they had a 50% off coupon. I always use the 40% off coupons in the Sunday's paper to buy the refils otherwise they are too expensive.
Sondra

[> Re: Can someone explain how to do the tiles -- Ruby,Vt, 13:07:03 02/26/06 Sun [1]

Thanks,I have the 510 and 150 but for the price of the 900 I'll hold off as there is a Michaels being built about 30 miles from here and maybe they will have a grand opening sale.
[> Re: ????????About tiles -- lorraine303, 19:39:43 03/14/06 Tue [1]

Before computers we did these tiles a little differently years ago. We used pictures from wrapping paper and decoupaged them onto the tile, added a thin coat of glue and used the superfine clear glitter over the top. To hang them you needed a 5-6" length of ribbon (grosgrain or velvet work well) and a cafe curtain ring (or you could use a metal ring). Fold the ribbon in half with the ring at folded end. Glue the ribbon together near the cut ends and then glue to the back of the tile. Cover the back of the tile with a square of felt.
~lorraine
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:43 am

More Ideas on Paper Used, Laminating and Finishing Tiles

Date Posted: 03:52:10 03/18/06 Sat
Author: smiley granny aka Mary
Subject: another ? about 4x4 tiles

I need to start making crafts again as my job was elemited (spelling) yesterday and have to go back to doing craft shows. I put my son through college doing this so now it's my turn..
My question is: on the directions it say's to lamanate just one side of the clip art, and put a sticky paper on the back. Well my lamanater does both sides, could I just cut the material that lam.. in half and the run it through?
Also do you print these out on card stock or reg printer paper? And what kind of sticky stuff do you use on the back?
thank you in advance for your answers.
Smiley Granny aka Mary

Replies:
[> Re: another ? about 4x4 tiles -- Sondra, 08:05:41 03/18/06 Sat [1]

Hi mary ... I just e-mail you directions on how to make the tiles. I make lots and lots of tiles, magnets and tic-tac-toe boards and found that the directions I have sent you works very well.
If you have any questions please let me know. I'll do whatever I can to help.
Sondra

[> Re: another ? about 4x4 tiles -- Retschoolmarm, 15:04:29 03/18/06 Sat [1]

I would say to run off 2 copies of the graphic. Put the blank sides together and run them thru the laminator. Now you have two copies laminated at once. The graphic sides should be laminated. Trim them so the copies come apart. Now put the 2 graphic, laminated sides together. This means the blank sides should come thru with the sticky stuff on the blank sides. Linda aka Retschoolmarm

Date Posted: 08:54:29 03/20/06 Mon
Author: Deb in GA
Subject: ? about paper used on tiles

Hugs all,
What type of paper are you using? I had some paper here that was sticky on one side (used for labels) Once I laminated it, could not get the the paper to separate.....any ideas?
Deb in GA

Re: ? about paper used on tiles -- Kitty, 11:23:01 03/20/06 Mon [1]

I use sticky paper( sticky on one side) when I laminate I only laminate the side with the graphic. Haven't had any trouble getting it to stick to the tiles, If you put two pages with the sticky side together( graphics on outside) you can run them through the machine then peel them a part.
Someone can probably explain this better then I. Kitty

Re: ? about paper used on tiles -- Lori Jean, 12:00:49 03/20/06 Mon [1]

Deb,
Did you cold laminate the paper or hot laminate? A lot of gals skip the laminating part and print it out on Cardstock, then use Mod Podge.
Hugs,
Lori Jean )

Re: ? about paper used on tiles -- MaryLee, 13:12:04 03/20/06 Mon [1]

I print out on card stock and then run it through my Xyron with the perm adhesive, cut to size and stick it on the tile and then spray it with clear matte spray

Re: ? about paper used on tiles -- Judy R, 03:41:07 03/21/06 Tue [1]

I have done some with Vellum, they turned out real nice. I know it is a little expensive, but I happened on to a whole pad of it, 50 sheets, in a clearance bin, so it was reasonable. I then ran it thru my xyron. I love those tiles, they are so much fun. Can't thank the poets and graphic artists enough. hugs, Judy R
crafterwannabe

Next

Return to Ideas Archive Board