Ceramic Tile Projects - 4x4's and 2x2's

Archive of all kinds of different Craft Ideas and Projects.

Moderators: Caboobie, crafterwannabe, krafteekaren, Craftsayings Users, Maintainer

Postby crafterwannabe » Sun May 17, 2009 2:31 am

On Finished Decorative Tiles Being Heat-Proof

Date Posted: 10:47:49 04/26/09 Sun
Author: Sharon Leach
Subject: Tiles

Is there anything you can use to make tiles into a hot trivet?
Sharon Leach

Re: Tiles -- Happily Retired, 11:34:36 04/26/09 Sun [1]

I had my second grade class make some for Mother's Day gifts. You need a "Staz-On" Stampin' Up black stamp pad. I let them stamp on a design and when it dried they used fine-tip colored markers to color them. When they were finished I sprayed them with a finish that would seal the tile. I can't remember what type of spray, but found one kind would melt when something hot was placed on it. I think the design stays on better if the tile isn't really glazed too much. You could rough it up with a fine sand paper, maybe.

Some tiles I've made I just stamped on a design, for example, a light house, and didn't color it in or didn't spray it. It is still beautiful.

At craft store you can find clear plastic bubbles that are used for feet to keep from scratching surfaces. Have fun!!

Re: Tiles -- Cathy in MT, 11:36:39 04/26/09 Sun [1]

I have had no luck in finding anything that works for them to use as a hot trivet or even one to put a glass of ice tea on that might drip as if they get wet they seem to be ruined no matter if I use mod podge with a sealer or laminate them, the picture on the paper on the tile still seems to get affected. Cathy

Re: Tiles -- Happily Retired, 17:30:45 04/26/09 Sun [1]

I ended up using two tiles to a table for our ladies' tea. I put tea pots on them and they were beautiful. I used them for door prizes, since I have a large box of tiles. Good luck.
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Date Posted: 10:51:05 02/05/10 Fri
Author: Ida Hillock
Subject: TILE--DIRECTIONS

HI. I WAS GIVEN A BOX OF ODD AND END OF TILE CAN SOME ONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THEM INTO HANGING PICTURES OR TO SET HOT DISHES ON? what do you use for a cover for the ones for hot dishes. Thank you. IDA

Replies:
[> Re: TILE--DIRECTIONS -- Swedie, 11:52:27 02/05/10 Fri [1]

Here are google results for tile crafts. LOTS of ideas.
http://www.google.com/search?q=tile+cra ... =firefox-a

[> Re: TILE--DIRECTIONS -- Swedie, 12:26:07 02/05/10 Fri [1]

Went back and looked at the google results and they weren't real helpful. Try this link for tile coaster and tile trivet ideas. They wouldn't have to be done with a holiday theme - or they could be done for any holiday.
http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/holida ... p#coasters

[> Re: TILE--DIRECTIONS -- Swedie, 12:52:25 02/05/10 Fri [1]

The above was instructions for painting a tile. This is decorations for decoupaging a tile - using Mod Podge.
http://www.youreallymadethat.com/drink-coasters.php

[> Re: TILE--DIRECTIONS -- helper bear, 14:48:47 02/05/10 Fri [1]

from the archives:
Tells various ways of making them and about trivets etc.

[> Re: TILE--DIRECTIONS -- Swedie, 20:25:14 02/05/10 Fri [1]

Look at this site I just came across. These are 6 x 6 tiles, but you could easily do 4 inch ones.
http://lanieree.blogspot.com/2010/01/va ... tiles.html

[> Re: TILE--DIRECTIONS -- Chris, 15:26:51 02/06/10 Sat [1]

Are they clay? If so, you can make a little bag with directions about putting them in oven to warm up and you place in a basket of rolls/biscuites to keep them warm.

[> Re: TILE--DIRECTIONS -- Sondra, 09:44:38 02/07/10 Sun [1]

Ida..Making the Tiles are really fun and easy. I make them all the time.
I draw a design using a print program on my computer..print it on label paper ( you can also use regular paper) I laminate only the front..peel off the backing and apply on the tile.
If you have any questions please send me an e-mail..I'll do what I can to help.
Sondra
crafterwannabe

Postby crafterwannabe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:02 am

Cut Photo, Glue on Tiles & Frame + Tile Necklace/Pendant & Tile Coaster

Date Posted: 06:03:11 07/05/10 Mon
Author: Sherron
Subject: Photos that Pop!

http://www.thediydish.com/2010/06/episo ... -canvases/

Replies:
[> Re: Photos that Pop! -- Frankie NJ, 07:42:49 07/05/10 Mon [1]

Wow, wow, wow. I love this craft project! Can't wait to get started making this of my new grandson. Thanks for sharing.
Frankie NJ

[> Re: Photos that Pop! -- donna in nc (WOWZER), 21:28:56 07/05/10 Mon [1]

I have to do these and I have the perfect photo too thanks for sharing

[> Re: Photos that Pop! -- KrafteeKaren, 08:22:21 07/06/10 Tue [1]

Sherron...thanks for sharing this, it looks like a wonderful project for Christmas gifts. Wonder if Allison could make these for Christmas gifts this year to her Mommy.
Hugs

Archiver's Note: This post was also archived separately on the scrapbooking archive board.
viewtopic.php?p=50423#50423
crafterwannabe

Previous

Return to Ideas Archive Board